Accidentally spilled a bunch of gfo 2 days ago, now cloudy water

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 days ago I finally put my gfo in a reactor, instead of floating in the sump in a bag. I didn't realize all the fine dust and red coloration from the gfo would blow into the sump and DT. I put a bunch of filter floss in the sump and removed the majority of the spilled dust. The worst cloudiness is gone, but it's still quite cloudy, like bacterial bloom. It's clearly white as well, instead of red/brown.

I dose vinegar as well, but that hasn't caused any blooms before. Can gfo cause a bacterial bloom? My phosphates have rapidly decreased after putting it in the reactor, but nitrates are still fairly high (15 - 20ish). Could the sudden lack of phosphates with high nitrates and vinegar dosing (50ml throughout the day straight vinegar on 45 gallon total system) cause a bacterial bloom?

My testing kit isn't accurate enough to say what level my phosphates are at right now. I suspect it went from ~ 0.5 to somewhere between 0.05 and 0.1.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, guess I should have just turned the reactor off for a bit first. Turned it off about an hour ago and things are clearing up already. I'll give it a good rinse before turning it back on...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 34.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back