Acclimate coral to new lights?

madmp3zz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 55 gallon standard tank and am Updating my not so good
Orbit Marine 48"- 60" IC LOOP PRO Dual LED System w/HUB - Current USA to 2 AI Hydra 26 HDs.
I keep reading that I may bleach my corals if I don't properly acclimate them to the stronger lights. Currently have most of my corals that need a lot of light at the top of the tank and my softies in the middle.
With the new lights will I have to move stuff around or can I just start out with extremely low light and work them up over time?

Is there a good post I could use to setup the new lights?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how I feel about the whole acclimating coral thing.....here’s why. I think it is a great idea but if you do it when you switch lights from “x” to “y” then wouldn’t you need to do it EVERY time you added new coral to your tank from a different light source?

corey

OP
OP
M

madmp3zz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how I feel about the whole acclimating coral thing.....here’s why. I think it is a great idea but if you do it when you switch lights from “x” to “y” then wouldn’t you need to do it EVERY time you added new coral to your tank from a different light source?

corey
I was wondering the same thing. My issue now becomes the way the corals are glued or have anchored themselves into their current locations, how much light will end up being too much for them? Or should I just take the leap? Other than the hammer the corals haven't done very good so far

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back