Acclimate Halichoeres chloropterus

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Receiving a bucket list fish tomorrow- Halichoeres chloropterus and am looking for tips on acclimating. We have 3”+ sand bed and will release into the tank when the lights are out. I thank you in advance for tips.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Receiving a bucket list fish tomorrow- Halichoeres chloropterus and am looking for tips on acclimating. We have 3”+ sand bed and will release into the tank when the lights are out. I thank you in advance for tips.
What other fish have you got in your tank and how big is it?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah I didn't know this was a bucket list fish for anyone.

I got mine not knowing how big they get, it's been in my QT tank since august. I am finally starting meds this week. Its been a good fish so far, i have not had a single wrasse make it through copper so I am scared.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got mine not knowing how big they get, it's been in my QT tank since august. I am finally starting meds this week. Its been a good fish so far, i have not had a single wrasse make it through copper so I am scared.
Wrasses are extremely sensitive to copper, I’ve yet to know anyone who manages to get them through a copper treatment completely unharmed.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it has been healthy in your QT tank for 4 months what is your reasoning for copper? Treat with prazi and move him along.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone wants to know IMG_6228.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5’x2’x2’ with full 3” sand bed Lots of Rock
Gem Tang
Powder Blue Tang
(2) Clown Ocellerus
Bangaii Cardinal
Royal Gramma
As long as you don’t plan to add any other wrasses, you should be alright. Once the wrasse grows (and they aren’t slow) your gramma may be at risk of being bullied. Most small species will likely be at risk of this wrasse and it’s aggression.

Mine was peaceful with small bursts for the first 4 years but now its going into its 5th year with me he is becoming a bit of an issue.
IMG_0598.jpeg

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are extremely sensitive to copper, I’ve yet to know anyone who manages to get them through a copper treatment completely unharmed.
Every fish rock invert and thing I add to my tank has been through QT, for fish, as far as I know needs to include copper to prevent ick.

I am confident as long as nothing goes wrong in my DT that ick will never show if I add the wrasse and its 2 tank mates, but 1 major stress event it might happen.

One of its new QT tank mates is a bristletooth tang, the odds I avoided ick in QT this time to my understanding is low given that fish.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What drew you to want a halichoeres chloropterus?

I got mine on a whim after losing a carpenters flasher wrasse in QT. All I checked was acceptable tank size and if it was a heavy pod eater. I have a mandarin so I wanted to keep competition a little lower.

What I didn't know is how ravenous this guy is with fire worms / bristle worms.

I put chaeto in my qt for cover and to siak up some nutrients, and a fat worm cane with it, and my 3 inch green wrasse just decimated it.

I've got a lot of worms that miiiight be fireworms, so I am excited to see him go to work, but worry about its max size. He's got a good personality though, skidish, but cuddles with the blenny. Likes going in the sand, and eats anything non plant I add to the tank. A liiiiittle woried about my snails.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back