Acclimating a cleaner shrimp

  • Thread starter Thread starter slythy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

slythy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2021
Messages
1,122
Reaction score
907
Location
USA
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a cleaner coming from dr reef tomorrow. I normally for fish make a batch of matching salinity or a little lower. With ghe shrimp it should be shipped at 1.024-1.026 and my tank is at 1.026. I want to avoid burning it with ammonia. After temp aclimation should i just dump it in or drip?
 
I have a cleaner coming from dr reef tomorrow. I normally for fish make a batch of matching salinity or a little lower. With ghe shrimp it should be shipped at 1.024-1.026 and my tank is at 1.026. I want to avoid burning it with ammonia. After temp aclimation should i just dump it in or drip?
I’m not a fan of drip method but with shrimp, I float bag 20-30 minutes and then add an 8oz cup of water to clean container with shrimp initially and then every 15-20 mins 5-6x then check salinity in container to see if it matches display tank and then use same cup to catch, then release shrimp into display tank
 
SLO drip acclimation for at least a 1-2 hours
 
I dripped one slowly and it was fine, the next one I didn’t drip it for long, it died, as soon as it went in it was clear it was not happy. I dripped a 3nd slowly and again it was fine, so my vote is for drip.
 
I float and use 50ml syringe and blunt needle and add 20ml of tank water every 10 min or so.
Did that with all my fish/shrimp. Not lost one yet
 
I do the float method for almost everything the only ones I do drip acclimations for are starfish and urchins because they are a lot more sensitive to sudden changes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new