Acclimating a large structure to new tank

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice here. I recently finished my 170g build and am ready to being migrating the livestock from my 75. The issue I have is this structure is one piece and all glued together loaded with zoas, encrusting montis, blastos ad some other random stuff. I want to pick the whole structure up and put it on the right side of the new tank.

Would you try to find a container and use a ton of water to try and actually acclimate them or would you just try to get the water parameters close and let it rip? I really don't know what to do here. I'm thinking the Zoas won't care that much - but I have a beautiful chunk of Jedi mind-trick that's growing like a cap as well as a fruity pebble monti that's also shelving. The Jedi mind-trick is finicky - but always bounces back if I aggravate it.

That's the structure. I would say it's about 17" wide and 15" tall. I was able to get it in a 40b temporarily when I had to move the 75, but it was tight. That would be a ton of water for me to do any sort of drip acclimation or the like.

The leather is just sitting there and can be moved and the cloves are not attached but the rest is a single unit.

1FC7E1DA-01F4-4DC9-8608-A57748C8F3D82023-05-04_18-20-54_529.jpeg

This is a close up of the Zoas that are growing. It turned into an unintended zoa garden.

2023-03-28_21-56-07_965.jpeg 2023-03-28_21-54-17_929.jpeg

The new tank! Tampa Bay Saltwater rock and sand - ready to accept the old tank. Don't mind the single XR15 and RMS mount resting on yoga blocks . The other lights are on my 75 and will migrate over with the livestock.

IMG_5195.jpg

All opinions are welcome. I've been procrastinating with this last step because of this challenge.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I'd get them close and let er rip.
Thinking as long as salinity and temp are on, you're good to go.
They all look incredible-I think they'll pull through fine.
The whole acclimation thing sounds like a PIA.
My 2 cents.

OP
OP
JM302

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I'd get them close and let er rip.
Thinking as long as salinity and temp are on, you're good to go.
They all look incredible-I think they'll pull through fine.
The whole acclimation thing sounds like a PIA.
My 2 cents.
This is how I'm leaning.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 65 gallon to a 180 gallon early this year and I just got all water parameters the same… except nitrate and phosphates.. and swapped everything over from fish to rocks and corals. The one thing I did though was I took all my light schedule to about 30% of what it had been running. And then I increased the light intensity about 2-3% every day or two until I was where I wanted it.
I had zero losses and very minimal algae or ugly stage on new dry rock and sand.

OP
OP
JM302

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 65 gallon to a 180 gallon early this year and I just got all water parameters the same… except nitrate and phosphates.. and swapped everything over from fish to rocks and corals. The one thing I did though was I took all my light schedule to about 30% of what it had been running. And then I increased the light intensity about 2-3% every day or two until I was where I wanted it.
I had zero losses and very minimal algae or ugly stage on new dry rock and sand.
Good call on the lights. I’ll do that for sure. The thing that’s really different in the two tanks is the pH. Not sure why but the new tank is really low. Once I start the kalk drip and get the macro growing it should increase but that won’t be until after the coral moves.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely have to agree, get conditions close and just dive in. It's amazing what I have seen corals go through and be just fine. I don't even think I would worry about pH either... That's more of a fish thing. Nice tank upgrade by the way!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back