Acclimation Practices

shadynate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my first order online for a few fish, some snails, and a couple coral. Can I pour all livestock into one container and acclimate them to my tank in that? Or should I avoid that and acclimate each individual specimen in their own bag? Thanks in advance.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the very least I’d suggest acclimating your fish and inverts separately. If the fish have copper or other meds in the shipping water, that’s not good for corals and inverts.

Beyond that it comes down to your personal preference. I’d definitely keep any fish that are likely to squabble in tight confines separated. Personally, I would never acclimate fish and invertebrates in the same container.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to acclimate them all separately, because, one fishes bag could have disease, and the others could be fine, and then dumping water in with everything else could cause problems. But at the very least, acclimate corals and inverts together, and fish by themselves. This is because, some fish water have copper meds which could kill inverts and corals.

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the supplier, or store owner, tells you they are in the same water to start with, then do it separately.

btw. I do not acclimate snails nor hermits. Never had a problem with them. Maybe I should though ...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back