Acclimating an Urchin

Porcupine Reefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2023
Messages
183
Reaction score
63
Location
Colorado springs
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how long it takes to drip acclimate an urchin, would an hour suffice or longer than an hour?
 
That depends on how different it’s water is from your tank. The main factors of shock come from temperature, pH and dKH differences. If its within a few degrees temp, 0.5-1 dKH and 0.5 pH difference, there shouldn’t be risk of shock.

To be honest I don’t think I’ve ever drip acclimated or even checked the bag water of any of our urchins, I’ve yet to lose one that wasn’t already half dead upon arrival or to an unrelated tank swing later on. But we also keep our tank parameters as close to our supplier’s as possible to prevent problems.

Some species will be more sensitive than others, I’ve had long spines, collector’s (normal and dwarf species), Halloween’s and tuxedo’s, multiple species of each type.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new