Acclimating Fish

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got some fish (labouts fairy wrasse & mccoskers wrasse) shipped to me from liveaquaria.com today, acclimating them now. i was wondering how many of you turn your lights off when introducing a new fish into the display especially if they have been shipped to you

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're "supposed" to, but I never have once they're in the DT. I do keep them dark while acclimating, and I might try to add them to the DT when only the actinics are on, but I don't go out of my way to adjust my light schedule.

Good luck with the Labouti; I almost pulled the trigger on that one last week.

OP
OP
CoralClark

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. i cant wait to get these guys in the tank and really see how colorful they are. i havent seen either of these fish in person yet so im pretty stoked

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other wrasses in the tank?

A little late for this, but an acclimation box would have been a good preventative step.

And are you planning to drip or baste?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralClark

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i have a radiant, line spot, red head, and a ******* six line. yes i need to get a acclimation box. any suggestions on where to get one? i am drip acclimating them.
Do you have any other wrasses in the tank?

A little late for this, but an acclimation box would have been a good preventative step.

And are you planning to drip or baste?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:crossedlips:

You're really going to need an acclimation box with that 6 line, especially for the McCosker's. The red-head might be a bit aggressive towards the Labouti as well.

4CORAL.COM

OP
OP
CoralClark

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone point me in the right direction to get a good acclimate box. Seen a couple nice ones on here, not sure if they are DIY though. Thanks guys

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but I've had better luck recently just floating the fish to temp acclimate and releasing them into the tank with the lights off. If I really thing about it, I'm not sure if fish are really able to acclimate themselves to varying water parameters in a matter of a few hours.....based on what I know about physiology this in reality takes more like a few days. The stress of "acclimation" may be more than its worth....maybe I'm completely wrong but I have been thinking about and experimenting with this lately.

FYI, the worst fish to fish aggression I have ever seen is when I made the mistake of putting a McCosker's wrasse into my first reef tank with an established six line wrasse. The McCoskers fell victim to the sixline's repeated ballistic missile-like attacks and before I could get my net he was permanently brain damaged and swam upside down in my fuge for a few days before he croaked :( Sorry McCosker's wrasse! Beware!.

ja4207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude go to PetSmart/Petco or want ever box pet store that has hamsters and get one of those hamster balls.... You know where they run along on your floor trapped in the clear ball. Perfect acclimation box, I use it for every fish introduction.

OP
OP
CoralClark

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but I've had better luck recently just floating the fish to temp acclimate and releasing them into the tank with the lights off. If I really thing about it, I'm not sure if fish are really able to acclimate themselves to varying water parameters in a matter of a few hours.....based on what I know about physiology this in reality takes more like a few days. The stress of "acclimation" may be more than its worth....maybe I'm completely wrong but I have been thinking about and experimenting with this lately.

FYI, the worst fish to fish aggression I have ever seen is when I made the mistake of putting a McCosker's wrasse into my first reef tank with an established six line wrasse. The McCoskers fell victim to the sixline's repeated ballistic missile-like attacks and before I could get my net he was permanently brain damaged and swam upside down in my fuge for a few days before he croaked :( Sorry McCosker's wrasse! Beware!.

makes complete sense to me. thanks guys for your help.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 151 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back