Acclimating multiple fish at once/ freshwater dip questions

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within the next week I will be getting a pair of clowns, a ywg + pistol, and potentially an urchin.

I've never acclimated multiple fish at once so I have a few questions.

1. Would I put the clown pair, ywg + pistol, and urchin all in the same bucket to acclimate? (I am planning to float the bags for 30 mins, then transfer all to a bucket to do half cup acclimating since I don't have a drip acclimator)
2. Do I transfer the pistol shrimp to the tank with my hands? I'm trying to avoid getting any lfs water in the tank but they seem delicate so how do I transfer the shrimp over?
3. Do you freshwater bathe all fish that you buy? I've watched videos on the benefits and how to perform them but they also make me nervous because the fish does not look like they are having a good time lol

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within the next week I will be getting a pair of clowns, a ywg + pistol, and potentially an urchin.

I've never acclimated multiple fish at once so I have a few questions.

1. Would I put the clown pair, ywg + pistol, and urchin all in the same bucket to acclimate? (I am planning to float the bags for 30 mins, then transfer all to a bucket to do half cup acclimating since I don't have a drip acclimator)
2. Do I transfer the pistol shrimp to the tank with my hands? I'm trying to avoid getting any lfs water in the tank but they seem delicate so how do I transfer the shrimp over?
3. Do you freshwater bathe all fish that you buy? I've watched videos on the benefits and how to perform them but they also make me nervous because the fish does not look like they are having a good time lol
These work great for transferring/rinsing inverts and fish, but also handy for scooping fish hiding in corners of your tank. Yes, all fish get the bath. It's often amazing the worms that fall off during a FW dip. But it does look scary. Generally speaking, healthy fish do fine with the dip.

IMG_0167.JPG

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These work great for transferring/rinsing inverts and fish, but also handy for scooping fish hiding in corners of your tank. Yes, all fish get the bath. It's often amazing the worms that fall off during a FW dip. But it does look scary. Generally speaking, healthy fish do fine with the dip.

IMG_0167.JPG
That’s an awesome idea, thank you! I’ll have to find one of those. Also what do you use to aerate your freshwater dips?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an awesome idea, thank you! I’ll have to find one of those. Also what do you use to aerate your freshwater dips?
Those "square shaped" scoops can be a bit hard to find. Sorry can't remember where to look. Probably Amazon. A simple air stone works great. Run it in the water for a 5-10 minutes before doing the dip.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those "square shaped" scoops can be a bit hard to find. Sorry can't remember where to look. Probably Amazon. A simple air stone works great. Run it in the water for a 5-10 minutes before doing the dip.
I’ll try my luck or somehow craft my own haha. Thank you! If I don’t have an air stone could I use an old return pump? If the air stone is better ill pick one up

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try my luck or somehow craft my own haha. Thank you! If I don’t have an air stone could I use an old return pump? If the air stone is better ill pick one up
The micro bubbles created by the stone would probably help saturate the water with more O2.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back