Acclimating wartskin angler

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Going in today in my first priority was to get him out of the bag, but was specific gravity was testing at the normal 025 his pH was at 7.47 tested with two different monitors

How should I approach this? Is there a way to get water at that salinity with a pH that low fast? I'm using reef crystals.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are transferring him into, a display or a qt/observation. If you are transferring him to a qt/observation, you balance that tank to his water. It really isn't wise to put this directly into a display, unless it was prepared specifically for him, he will need special care to get him eating. If you can not lower his new tank down, put him in a bucket and bring the sg up, the ph will come up on it's own. If you are coming up more than .002, you should take a couple of hours. Exposure to O2 will start to bring the ph up on it's own, it also raises any NH3 that may been in another form, so you really should have been prepared before bringing him home. You also do not want to expose him to air. This is a very delicate species to acclimate, really, everything must go right, or his chances are greatly decreased.

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Oh no I was fully prepared. I have a species only tank set up for him. He was mailed in and it just seemed odd for the pH to be so low. I did exactly as I've heard to do and matched the bucket parameters as close as I could to that of the water he came in then got my tank as close as I could and did a very slow acclamation. So far he seems to be doing perfectly fine.

Any recommendations on starting diet? Obviously I expect to feed live. Right now it appears to be 3 in perhaps a little more.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back