Acclimation Advise for LED to T5 Hybrid

  • Thread starter Thread starter GoodKat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GoodKat

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 4, 2018
Messages
109
Reaction score
79
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience going from LED only to Hybrid lighting. I know to go slow, and careful of high PAR.

Since I can't dim the T5's, should I just turn them on for a little longer each day. I was thinking of starting in 15 min intervals and running them for max of 6 hours a day, while running the LEDs 10 hours, ending with blues. I was thinking of keeping my LED schedule the exact same and using the T5 to boost PAR and cover new wavelengths.

I rented a PAR meter and it looks like on average the jump is about 100 par.
[with only LEDS] bottom 80, 120 middle, 180 top
[with the hybrid] 150 bottom, 200 middle, 300 top

I know some people run tanks with as high as 400 PAR, but I am worried that because my tank has been running for two years at these lower levels, a boost of 100 par will cause die off. I have a very mixed reef tank and am nervous the high 180-200 par will fry my gonis, favia, and psammacora. (although my sps will probably love it).

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.


Tank info:
I have a 170 liter tank, 24 inch across, 18 deep, 20 width.
Previously I ran two AI primes peaking at 22% clear white and 50% blues for about 6 hours, with 2 hour ramp up times.
The hybrid is two AI primes, 2 ATI Actinic, 1 Purple Plus, 1 Coral Plus.
(I chose this selection to really cover the higher wavelengths that AI primes lack.)
 
I didn't have a par meter when I switched over and the forum's generally suggested going from LED to LED/T5 wasn't as big of a deal as going from T5 to T5/LED (however I never really saw any concrete directions for par increases per day/week). Since I couldn't find any benchmark numbers, I started my tank at 1 hour of T5s per day and let my corals acclimate to the additonal par. I increased the T5s by 1 hour each week and did not have any episodes of SPS bleaching, browning out, or any negative changes in any of my corals. Unfortunately I wish I could give you more than a single anecdote- hopefully someone will have better data to drive your acclimation schedule!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new