Acclimation boxes

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for an acclimation box. I've found several cheap ones that collapse (they appear to come in pieces and you assemble like a puzzle). Has anyone tried one of these? Do they work, or fall apart like they look like they would? I don't want a teeny tiny box but the non collapsable boxes appear to average 50.00 or so (some more than others). It just seems like a lot to pay for a plastic box with holes in it when a regular specimen box is about 15.00. I could be wrong, I'll freely admit that. This box won't be a once and done. I plan on putting chaeto in it after I put in my last 2 fish.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one from EA it wasnt cheap. But it's an awesome box.

1567023129210770913515668834932.jpg

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I've seen that one. Do those suction cups work? My experience with suction cups on anything hasn't been positive.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work too well lol. I have to use a small pocket screwdriver to break the seal. I dried doing it by hand and slid my finger across the edge of the acrylic and it sliced me open like a razor.

The tank is basically buoyant, the suction cup just hold it in place. I usually put a piece of live rock in the box for the fish to hide while they're in there.
The quality of the acrylic is great. It's not super thin and holds up well. I have another that was made for my by a custom acrylic guy with magnets and it's made from super thin super flimsy acrylic and the way the acrylic was cut to make the water flow made the box scary to use. And that wasnt cheap either.

15670238172456273605661890589861.jpg 15670238500923277651036131151780.jpg

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a couple of different ones before this one and they were also quite pricey.
My favorite thus far is what I'm using now - The Tanklimate by Esshops. It has several different features, one of them being a frag rack that can be used when the Tanklimate isn't in use as an acclimation box. The most important part, for me, is that the bottom is not clear like most of the others. The fish get super anxious otherwise and in this one it's not the case.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a couple of different ones before this one and they were also quite pricey.
My favorite thus far is what I'm using now - The Tanklimate by Esshops. It has several different features, one of them being a frag rack that can be used when the Tanklimate isn't in use as an acclimation box. The most important part, for me, is that the bottom is not clear like most of the others. The fish get super anxious otherwise and in this one it's not the case.

Does it have a lid? I like that it has compartments.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have several different acclimation box models and am fond of this one as well.
The opaque bottom is great and the magnets are a lot better than suction cups.
Only remark is that the cover won't necessarily latch as securely as you might like.
Good idea to put a small weight on it to prevent any jailbreaks.

Nevets9333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those made up of panels that you assemble? Because that's kinda what it looks like.

Edited to add: These are the cheaper ones I was looking at but not sure how sturdy they were.
Yes you assemble them, but it takes 2 mins. They just slot into each other. Very sturdy. Suction cups with the screw tighten work great.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got one off ebay and was well built for a very low price

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will those be ok for a juvenile Achilles Tang? I figure he would need a bigger acclimation box??

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back