Acclimation

OzMar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I feel silly asking this but here we go...so I started this new hobby about a month ago and my local guy has never mentioned "acclimation" but I read a lot about it over the internet. The couple that runs the store where I'm at, have had it since 1964...so I feel like they should know what they are talking about..or do they...so anyways...I guess the question is: Do I have to go through the process of acclimation every time I introduce a new fish???

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes! its pretty important,
fish,coral etc. you need to slowly bring them to the water params in your tank. it will help the survival rate and lessen the chance of infection

OP
OP
O

OzMar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why i was not informed of this....i've basically just put them in right away....now i feel like a bad parent...lol.....what could happen to the fish i have now? Is there anything I should look out for?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yeah I always do a quarantine on new fish. After 3 or so weeks of quarantine and if the fish look healthy I place them in my display tank.

I always drip acclimate new critters over about an hour to two hours time before adding them.

With your tank being new you should be fine, you want to acclimate and quarantine when you already have established fish in an older tank. So in other words from now on you will need to do these steps just to be safe.

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why i was not informed of this....i've basically just put them in right away....now i feel like a bad parent...lol.....what could happen to the fish i have now? Is there anything I should look out for?

Well i think if there looking fine and eating then you shouldnt have a problem

Raggamuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always drip acclimate new critters over about an hour to two hours time before adding them.

With your tank being new you should be fine, you want to acclimate and quarantine when you already have established fish in an older tank. So in other words from now on you will need to do these steps just to be safe.

Just to add to what Skinz said, that is the perfect way to do it IF the fish/coral came from a local source. If they are mailed (aka been in a bag 16+ hours) it is better to NOT open the bag float it until the temp is close and then open the bag and do the 1/2 cup of water wait 10 min add another wait then straight to the quarantine tank. The reason being the nasties from being stuck in the bag are not so bad with little O2 in the bag but once it is opened it goes toxic FAST so don't dilly dally.

Last edited:

Gitsoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to what Skinz said, that is the perfect way to do it IF the fish/coral came from a local source. If they are mailed (aka been in a bag 16+ hours) it is better to NOT open the bag float it until the temp is close and then open the bag and do the 1/2 cup of water wait 10 min add another wait then straight to the quarantine tank. The reason being the nasties from being stuck in the bag are not so bad with little O2 in the bag but once it is opened it goes toxic FAST so don't dilly dally.

I never knew that, the first thing i do is open the bag and float, I feel like they need oxygen though.
After floating for temp to level out i add some of my water to the bag and wait 20-30 min. Then empty half the bag and fill up to the same spot with more of my water for 20-30 mins. Then for corals ill add coral rx then rinse then in tank, for fish i just add them into qt after

OP
OP
O

OzMar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the information guys really appreciate it!!!

Oz

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 164 49.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 30 9.1%
Back