Acclimatization of import corals to light

Red Sea 425 XL Mixed_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my LFS called me telling me they have some fresh import SPS acro corals. They been in their tank for 2 days. I’ve picked up 2 beautiful pieces today. I am wondering how do you guys do the acclimatization? My sand bad is full no space to place it there.. what’s the thumb rule for you guys. I am planning to start with 250 par and go up to 350. Wonder how every one handles the fresh import pieces. Ore in general..

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your sand is full, you can buy a frag rack for about $15 from amazon, it comes with magnet to hang on the glass. You start it low, and slowly move the rack up to where you want.

1693137471290.png

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been involved with the importation of corals for decades. The corals once harvested from the ocean go into holding tanks at collection sites that have minimal light if any over the holding tanks. Some collectors actually chill the water in the tanks down to the low 70s. Then the corals are shipped and to most locations this is a 36-48 trip minimum with the corals inside dark boxes with no lights at all. And then they goto a wholesaler - which most don't have great light and then they get to your LFS, which might have good light, and then they finally get to your house.

Give them the light. They have literally been starved for light for maybe a few weeks once all is said and done. Give them the light to get their metabolism rolling again.

Having done this for decades for 10's of thousands of corals - the amount of corals that bleach out from getting too much light after coming from the wild is very slim.

I have even taken 1000s of these corals that were wild collected and taken them directly to my outdoor frag tanks which get up to 2000 par in the summer time.

Wild corals, and corals baked under tank lights seldom look the same. Our tank lighting can greatly change which zooxanthella (sp?) flourish in a captive environment. Once a coral is adapted to captive lighthing then there might be more of an issue to adjust lighting moving it from one location to another - to try to maintain the same colors.

Dave B

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been involved with the importation of corals for decades. The corals once harvested from the ocean go into holding tanks at collection sites that have minimal light if any over the holding tanks. Some collectors actually chill the water in the tanks down to the low 70s. Then the corals are shipped and to most locations this is a 36-48 trip minimum with the corals inside dark boxes with no lights at all. And then they goto a wholesaler - which most don't have great light and then they get to your LFS, which might have good light, and then they finally get to your house.

Give them the light. They have literally been starved for light for maybe a few weeks once all is said and done. Give them the light to get their metabolism rolling again.

Having done this for decades for 10's of thousands of corals - the amount of corals that bleach out from getting too much light after coming from the wild is very slim.

I have even taken 1000s of these corals that were wild collected and taken them directly to my outdoor frag tanks which get up to 2000 par in the summer time.

Wild corals, and corals baked under tank lights seldom look the same. Our tank lighting can greatly change which zooxanthella (sp?) flourish in a captive environment. Once a coral is adapted to captive lighthing then there might be more of an issue to adjust lighting moving it from one location to another - to try to maintain the same colors.

Dave B
Thanks for the input I appreciate and will start the normal lighting tomorrow once I wake up.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d b more concerned about possible peats
And would dip and observe in a Qt system. I think what throw at them pales to the sun. Good luck.
I don’t have a quarantine tank yet. I am about to start a new project and will deff get a quarantine tank. I’ve lost some fishes who I cherished dearly due to adding them directly to the tank. I’ve always been lucky so far so thought I get away with it this time again. Unfortunately I’ve lost 4 fish and a group of anthias. I’ve been really upset for days. This was a hard lesson Learned but the remedie is simple and deff going to happen. I am not addding any fish before quarantine any more!!

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I get all my fish now fully conditioned and quarantined. Also got hit hard once in all my years and Nvr looked back. No space for that too lol. Corals I wouldn’t add any wild acro to my systems without a Qt. Bad enuff of what ya see hear and read about from the aquaculture and hobby trades. Cut and toss the bases. Magnify for eggs in bases. Brush. Dip dip dip. Lol and when u think it’s ok. Dip again lol. Not all at once ofc but over time and observation. U get it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back