Lights and Corals

Fernandop9995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys here is my 20 gallon.
Currently with 1 royal gramma and 2 clownfish and snails and peppermint shrimp.
Just got my first small piece of coral and was wondering what light set up % should I run?
The light is the Smatfarm G3 I believe.
For coral growth and what do I feed these corals?

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No picture uploaded if you mean to include one

What type of coral did you get? Most corals are photosynthetic and get all the food they need from the light and feeding off particulate in the water column.

I feed reef roids, reef chili, and shrimp every now and then (once or twice a month)

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh Hatched Brine > Reef Roids IMO. All I ever got outta reef roids was elevated phos levels. Benepet is a far better choice for powder coral food, and fresh brine the best choice IMO. Not to mention how much cheaper brine eggs are and the added benefit of adding live algae eaters to your system.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh Hatched Brine > Reef Roids IMO. All I ever got outta reef roids was elevated phos levels. Benepet is a far better choice for powder coral food, and fresh brine the best choice IMO. Not to mention how much cheaper brine eggs are and the added benefit of adding live algae eaters to your system.
How much work/attention is needed to have a hatchery?

I already get the side eye when sitting in front of the sump after maintenance. She's already calling my bluff on "I'm finished working in the tank now" or "that was the last upgrade for awhile" haha

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put tank water into my "hatchery" add the brine eggs, turn on a bubbler and 24hrs later I have fresh food for my tank. You can make a Brine Hatchery out of a 2liter soda bottle. DIY Link for you to make your own hatchery.

Hate to burst the bubble, but salt tanks are the one thing in this world that seem to encourage micro-management. The more time you spend on your tank, the better they tend to look. You can tell your wife that it is My Fault if that helps ya any, :)

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put tank water into my "hatchery" add the brine eggs, turn on a bubbler and 24hrs later I have fresh food for my tank. You can make a Brine Hatchery out of a 2liter soda bottle. DIY Link for you to make your own hatchery.

Hate to burst the bubble, but salt tanks are the one thing in this world that seem to encourage micro-management. The more time you spend on your tank, the better they tend to look. You can tell your wife that it is My Fault if that helps ya any, :)

Wish I could give you more emotes for this!!

Hooooly cow is that simple. Some interesting comments about rinsing the brine before use. At first it seemed like a none issue then he mentioned elevated ammonia in the hatchery water. What do you do?

It's all said in jest as she sees the benefit from my slight obssession, but ill make sure to pass the buck to you! I'll take every advantage I can!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hooooly cow is that simple. Some interesting comments about rinsing the brine before use. At first it seemed like a none issue then he mentioned elevated ammonia in the hatchery water. What do you do?

It's all said in jest as she sees the benefit from my slight obssession, but ill make sure to pass the buck to you! I'll take every advantage I can!
You can get bbs nets or sieves so you dont add the water. When I have done this in the past I didnt worry about it but my system was much larger. For my fresh tanks I use nets i dont want the salt entering the system typically feeding fry in a 10-20g tank.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You may see some elevated ammonia in the brine water itself, and you can filter the brine out of that water. I don't but I am adding 1/4 of a gallon of water with brine into a system that holds roughly 360gallons total. For my system that small amount of raised ammonia is not enough to have to worry about.

For a 20g you'd be adding a lot less than what I am doing on mine. In fact 1 hatching of shrimp could possibly last you 2 weeks, while 1 hatching for me is fed every other to every 3 days.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may see some elevated ammonia in the brine water itself, and you can filter the brine out of that water. I don't but I am adding 1/4 of a gallon of water with brine into a system that holds roughly 360gallons total. For my system that small amount of raised ammonia is not enough to have to worry about.

For a 20g you'd be adding a lot less than what I am doing on mine. In fact 1 hatching of shrimp could possibly last you 2 weeks, while 1 hatching for me is fed every other to every 3 days.
Good to know for OP, my system is over 10x their volume so I shouldn't have to worry either, I don't suppose.

@Fernandop9995 , while I orginally said reef roids, I may be making a feeding regime switch soon based on this thread! Gotta love this community and hobby.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higari makes a great and much cheaper alternative to reef roids called coralific delight. My corals love it and its about 1/2 the price of reef roids. I likke that you can make a thick gel for meat eaters or if mixed with a lot of water ( or after feeding the meat eaters just suck up more water into the syringe)it kind of separates and it turns into like a ton of ensy tensy pellets or something!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hatchery and some eggs I bought from Brs a while back and never used. I think I am going to give it a go!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back