Where do people get thoes randome australian import coral?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people get theese coral that are cool morphs that don't have a name. They seem to have got them as Australian imports or imports of another country.
Where do you find all that???
I was wondering thinking maybe it's a way to get some cool things for a bit cheaper.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people get theese coral that are cool morphs that don't have a name. They seem to have got them as Australian imports or imports of another country.
Where do you find all that???
I was wondering thinking maybe it's a way to get some cool things for a bit cheaper.
Retailers/Vendors with wholesale accounts order wild colonies sometimes. You can probably order from an lfs.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably have to me a several-thousand dollar minimum, pay for freight and then eat the losses. Most Aussie corals do suffer heavy losses unless you wait to dip them, have places to land them (systems just for this) with enormous amounts of light and otherwise are really good a wild corals.

If you can figure all of this out, you can get some amazing corals from Australia and the rest of the coral sea.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably have to me a several-thousand dollar minimum, pay for freight and then eat the losses. Most Aussie corals do suffer heavy losses unless you wait to dip them, have places to land them (systems just for this) with enormous amounts of light and otherwise are really good a wild corals.

If you can figure all of this out, you can get some amazing corals from Australia and the rest of the coral sea.
Yea I definately couldn't do that. I don't even have 1000$ to my name.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid most wild colonies then. They have not been selected for their ability to survive in modern tanks with more blue light, higher waste products (no3 and po4) and all of that. Many wild corals, as well as many old-school type of corals in the hobby a few decades ago, will slowly die under such conditions whereas many others don't mind at all.

Aussie Millepora, Spathulata and many other acropora are awesome.

Aussie Ice Fire Echinata was one of the most sought after corals of yesteryear, but it is significantly more difficult to keep now with the way that people hobby. The old school folks can still keep it. It is not impossible to keep in newer methodology system, just not as easy and small things become larger and it seems to succumb eventually.

Mine is the first photo and the second is the same coral under different light from Ed with more white on the inner branches.
Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 9.03.22 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 9.04.27 AM.png

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid most wild colonies then. They have not been selected for their ability to survive in modern tanks with more blue light, higher waste products (no3 and po4) and all of that. Many wild corals, as well as many old-school type of corals in the hobby a few decades ago, will slowly die under such conditions whereas many others don't mind at all.

Aussie Millepora, Spathulata and many other acropora are awesome.

Aussie Ice Fire Echinata was one of the most sought after corals of yesteryear, but it is significantly more difficult to keep now with the way that people hobby. The old school folks can still keep it. It is not impossible to keep in newer methodology system, just not as easy and small things become larger and it seems to succumb eventually.

Mine is the first photo and the second is the same coral under different light from Ed with more white on the inner branches.
Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 9.03.22 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 9.04.27 AM.png
Very cool coral. I'm looking at more LPS. My 2 acro have not grown. The only sps that's grown in my tank has been stylo and monti.

But lps (especially euphillia/torches) grow like crazy in my tank.

But why are thoes corals less keepable now than before?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need lower waste residual waste product levels. They also need higher quality and quantity light. Not impossible, but just harder. People have wandered further from ocean-level of parameters and lighting - doesn't matter to some corals, but it matters to others.

There are not likely any wild LPS from Australia that you have not seen. This is not like some new area with morphs and specimens never seen before.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need lower waste residual waste product levels. They also need higher quality and quantity light. Not impossible, but just harder. People have wandered further from ocean-level of parameters and lighting - doesn't matter to some corals, but it matters to others.

There are not likely any wild LPS from Australia that you have not seen. This is not like some new area with morphs and specimens never seen before.
Aussie LPS aren't that challenging, my entire system has only wils aussie LPS (and a few wild aussie softies) and nothing else, only problem is the pests....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back