Why are my corals closing randomly throughout the day?

Callum the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a problem where in the morning my corals are fully out, big and extended specially my Duncans but I’ve started to notice that throughout the day they close up randomly, most of the it is when I go out and when I come back few of my corals are closed up and I have no clue why, all my water fine, I do have a cleaner shrimp and I’ve seen him close up my corals before, so all I can think off is that my cleaner shrimp is doing it. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or do people think it could be the cleaner shrimp doing it thanks.

image.jpg

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Callum,

I dont think your cleaner will keep those zoanthids closed so tightly!
How long has this reef been setup for?
Whats the daily feeding like?

If you have recent parameters(Alk, Calc, Nitrate) it can help people get you on track. :)

Best of luck

Upvote 0

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experienced the same issue lately. Mine surfaced when I removed the glass lid and added two more Kessil A360 Tuna Blues. My thoughts were that the corals got “full” from sugars produced by zoxanthellae and closed off for the day. I am not sure though.
My parameters are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2ppm
Phosphate 0.09ppm
Ca 450
KH 9.4
Mg 1350
Flow is from 2MP10 and 2 MP40 all set to reef crest.
Tank is a 4x2x2 120 heavy rock and deep sand
Sump has a fleece roller, Reef octo 250 int, HoB 3 gallon refugium with lots of porous stone and rock.

Upvote 0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered increasing nítrate a tiny bit? Those are powerful lights you’re running and with nitrates that low your Coral may be maxed out and trying to balance out energy consumption with growth.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Callum the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experienced the same issue lately. Mine surfaced when I removed the glass lid and added two more Kessil A360 Tuna Blues. My thoughts were that the corals got “full” from sugars produced by zoxanthellae and closed off for the day. I am not sure though.
My parameters are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2ppm
Phosphate 0.09ppm
Ca 450
KH 9.4
Mg 1350
Flow is from 2MP10 and 2 MP40 all set to reef crest.
Tank is a 4x2x2 120 heavy rock and deep sand
Sump has a fleece roller, Reef octo 250 int, HoB 3 gallon refugium with lots of porous stone and rock.
yeah but the thing is with mine is that in the morning every morning all of my corals are fully out and big, its only when something touches them that they close up and if im out idk if my shrimp is walking over them or messing with them.

Upvote 0

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah but the thing is with mine is that in the morning every morning all of my corals are fully out and big, its only when something touches them that they close up and if im out idk if my shrimp is walking over them or messing with them.
That would certainly be a factor. My anemones barf up silversides a couple times a week. When the conch and urchins come to feast, they close up due to being touched. Not a big deal if you can handle not seeing them for a few hours

Upvote 1

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? What are the water parameters? How long have you had the coral? What type of lighting? What flow? Need more info........

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back