Duncan closed up

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have another Duncan question. This guy's decided to close up all of a sudden day before yesterday and hasn't opened since. The last two that did this ended up dying randomly when they looked perfectly healthy.

Does anyone see any signs of diminishing health?

Checked water parameters today, calcium was at 400 so I dosed it. Magnesium is 1300+- and alkalinity is 11.3. Phosphates and nitrates are almost nonexistent in the aquarium.

it's a 125g, we only have 5 small fish and 2 cleaner shrimps. Less than 2.5"(2 clowns, royal gamma) 3.5" blue tang and diamond goby. Shrimp seem to be full grown?? Probably 25 to 30 assorted corals and 3 anemones..

20231230_123155.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates and nitrates are almost nonexistent in the aquarium.
There's your problem. Corals need nutrients or they'll starve... And LPS like duncans like dirtier water.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a half cube of frozen brine shrimp every night. Once or twice a week we directly feed the corals brine shrimp. Turn off all flow, use tweezers and drop some brine shrimp on all of them. We were using reef roids but someone told me to stop using that on the Duncan's because it was to much for them to often. I also throw in pellet food 2 to 4 times a day pretty religiously.

Knowing that, what else could I do? I feel like I'm definitely feeding enough, but maybe not.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a half cube of frozen brine shrimp every night. Once or twice a week we directly feed the corals brine shrimp. Turn off all flow, use tweezers and drop some brine shrimp on all of them. We were using reef roids but someone told me to stop using that on the Duncan's because it was to much for them to often. I also throw in pellet food 2 to 4 times a day pretty religiously.

Knowing that, what else could I do? I feel like I'm definitely feeding enough, but maybe not.
I had this same problem a few months ago. I tried feeding more but that didn’t help. I ordered some neo nitrate and phosphate and dosed it for 2 weeks and that got it up. You could try that.

Attachments

• IMG_2203.jpeg
    IMG_2203.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 25

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

May just come down to you need to dose especially with alkalinity over 10. I keep mine around 11kh but have to dose around 20ppb phosphorus and 3ppm nitrate daily to keep the tank at 25ppb and 5ppm respectively.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They sometimes do that when forming new heads. I also agree with low nutrients. If you start seeing the tissue receding on the base that’s a sign of real trouble.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely going to try the neo nitrates and phosphates. I've attached a picture of the nitrate and phosphate test I just did. It's been about a week since I last did it but I had a hunch it hadn't changed.

Everything seems to be doing fine.. one other duncan has some tissue recession at the base, I took it out and dipped it about a week ago and it looks to be growing back. Anemones all seem good. I've had Two rock flower anemones for about 2 months, and a green tip tube anemone for about a month.. all seem good. Acopora is doing well, all zoas are seemingly growing, mushrooms seem ok. The pectina had some tissue recession early on but has seemingly recovered and is also showing growth. Favia is good, the clam is good, the elegance even seems to be fine and happy.

I guess I just need to work on the nitrate and phosphate levels. Side note, the tank is fairly young. October 17th 2023 was the day I started it. Got tired of freshwater. And boy is this different and alot more involved but also more rewarding. I know the tank really needs to be older to support some of these corals but I figured with some chemical manipulation they would stay alive and so far so good.

Attachments

• 20231230_144713.jpg
    20231230_144713.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been forming new heads since I got it. This one has probably been in this tank 5 weeks..

Attachments

• 20231230_145447.jpg
    20231230_145447.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 28

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you start making changes in your tank, I would suggest to get better test kits, should not change anything based on API. API always shows zero nitrate, and phosphate shows either zero or .25 phosphate. My phosphate level is at .1 which is good, but the API test kit goes from zero to .25, so its useless for our hobby.

I would not try to raise nitrate and phosphate without a better test kit to give you the true picture. Especially since your tank is so young, increasing the nitrate and phospahate will fuel an algae outbreak.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the salifert test be considered better? I have those for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. I have the reef masters kit you get at petco for the nitrates and phosphates..

Attachments

• 20231230_150648.jpg
    20231230_150648.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 21

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan’s are finicky. I had mine close up like that for a month or two until I moved it elsewhere in the tank and it miraculously opened up and is now growing new heads like crazy. Try to keep your parameters in check and make sure it’s got moderate lighting and flow. They also love to be fed regularly.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And up until the last 3 days, my alge has been out of control. 3 to 4 days after a water change and cleaning there would be so much alge on the walls that looking in was blurry and vague for a lack of a better term.

All of a sudden, the alge went away on its own. Literally, and some really colorful alge started growing on the rocks.

Z0RN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the salifert test be considered better? I have those for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. I have the reef masters kit you get at petco for the nitrates and phosphates..
Salifert kits are better than api. I’d suggest a Hanna checker for phosphates though.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read some very mixed reviews about the electronic Hannah testers.. are they pretty good?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like and use these except phosphate.
For this I measure phosphorus in PPB with Hanna.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back