Duncan closed up

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely going to try the neo nitrates and phosphates. I've attached a picture of the nitrate and phosphate test I just did. It's been about a week since I last did it but I had a hunch it hadn't changed.

Everything seems to be doing fine.. one other duncan has some tissue recession at the base, I took it out and dipped it about a week ago and it looks to be growing back. Anemones all seem good. I've had Two rock flower anemones for about 2 months, and a green tip tube anemone for about a month.. all seem good. Acopora is doing well, all zoas are seemingly growing, mushrooms seem ok. The pectina had some tissue recession early on but has seemingly recovered and is also showing growth. Favia is good, the clam is good, the elegance even seems to be fine and happy.

I guess I just need to work on the nitrate and phosphate levels. Side note, the tank is fairly young. October 17th 2023 was the day I started it. Got tired of freshwater. And boy is this different and alot more involved but also more rewarding. I know the tank really needs to be older to support some of these corals but I figured with some chemical manipulation they would stay alive and so far so good.
Before making any changes I would get Hanna checkers. They are a good test kit.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all good but UL phosphate HR nitrate and ALK checkers are excellent and easy to use.

CA and MG had too much flux in readings for my liking.
I agree. I use Hanna for phosphate, nitrate and alk. Mag and cal with salifert test kit.

I just got a Neptune trident for Christmas and so far it has been about the same as my Hanna checkers and I haven’t calibrated it yet.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they difficult to calibrate?

I have a salinity tester and it said something about calibration but when I set it to salt it shows me the ppm. Seems accurate, shows usually between 34.2 to 35.5 is the highest I've seen..

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a salinity tester and it said something about calibration but when I set it to salt it shows me the ppm. Seems accurate, shows usually between 34.2 to 35.5 is the highest I've seen..
Super easy to calibrate

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Calibrating a salinity tester involves using a solution of known salinity to "tune" the tester... saltwater is best for this but in a pinch you can use RODI water. In the chemistry forum, Randy has a recipe for diy calibration solution of 35ppt.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back