Super cloudy water for days

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I also find to be extremely strange is how the lighting effects this.

Using the full RGB spectrum the water clears up a little bit but as soon as I take it to blue only its gets worse. Is that just the lights deceiving my eyes or will the lighting add to or diminish the bacterial infection?

No... I'm inclined to think it is the light playing tricks.

Again, prepare a 20% water change. Complete the water change and rinse all mechanical filtration in RODI.

Previously, I stated rinsing in old tank water. But that would have you rinsing in infected water. Use RODI instead.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial bloom. It will go away on its own.

I'm afraid that this will continue to get worse. In turn, oxygen levels will continue to deplete. Intervention is definitely required here.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are marine lights. Meant for coral aquariums or at least the documentation on them says so. But out of curiosity, what are FW lights?

I don't know about the floss media, I think I'll pass on that. I don't have the time to change it every couple of days honestly.
FW = Fresh water is all :)

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys help me out..

We did a water change this morning at 10:30, completed by noon. 30 gallon water change, 125 gallon tank. Cleaned out the filter also.

Still no change.. what do I do?? HELP!!

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here what it still looks like

Attachments

• 20240113_205110.jpg
    20240113_205110.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the water looks like out of the tank. It has a yellow tint to it, im getting worried. I'm soaking a ECO-BIO Stone to put in.

Attachments

• 20240113_205450.jpg
    20240113_205450.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 70

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the water looks like out of the tank. It has a yellow tint to it, im getting worried. I'm soaking a ECO-BIO Stone to put in.
Well, I can bump the thread for you at least. Never heard of the Eco stone. I looked it up and it doesn't sound like it will help much. Might not hurt though. It really sounds like a bacterial bloom. Time, water changes, keeping the canister filter clean every few days and having some mechanical filtration material in it, all will help. A UV sterilizer won't hurt. Skimmer isn't a bad idea. Do you have any power heads, or is all your flow from the canister? If so, you probably want to add a couple.

Really there are no magic bullets. Your tank is only 3 months old. Give it a while, like a LONG time, to sort itself out. Finally, patience is your friend.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can bump the thread for you at least. Never heard of the Eco stone. I looked it up and it doesn't sound like it will help much. Might not hurt though. It really sounds like a bacterial bloom. Time, water changes, keeping the canister filter clean every few days and having some mechanical filtration material in it, all will help. A UV sterilizer won't hurt. Skimmer isn't a bad idea. Do you have any power heads, or is all your flow from the canister? If so, you probably want to add a couple.

Really there are no magic bullets. Your tank is only 3 months old. Give it a while, like a LONG time, to sort itself out. Finally, patience is your friend.
I have a UV sterilizer on the way the hooks into the plumbing for my filter but it won't be here until the 22nd, and of course that particular model isn't available in any store near me..ugh..

Yeah there's a power head in there, I'm pretty sure the flow is strong bc from time to time there are little water tornadoes around the side where the power head is.

I'm just worried this gulf of Mexico water is going to kill everything. I literally cannot see past about 6" in there. There are a bunch of corals I haven't seen since Tuesday so I guess naturally I'm getting worried.

When you guys mention mechanical filtration material what does that mean?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a UV sterilizer on the way the hooks into the plumbing for my filter but it won't be here until the 22nd, and of course that particular model isn't available in any store near me..ugh..

Yeah there's a power head in there, I'm pretty sure the flow is strong bc from time to time there are little water tornadoes around the side where the power head is.

I'm just worried this gulf of Mexico water is going to kill everything. I literally cannot see past about 6" in there. There are a bunch of corals I haven't seen since Tuesday so I guess naturally I'm getting worried.

When you guys mention mechanical filtration material what does that mean?
Mechanical filter material;
https://intankaquatics.com/intank-bonded-poly-filter-floss-value-pack-3-pads/

There are many other options, above is just an example. It's just to trap small particles. It's the 1st stage in any filter system. In a sump a lot of people use filter socks or now a roller, all for the same purpose.

As for flow, IMHO, you want to have enough water movement so that a coral's tentacles will sway back and forth, and have surface ripples. You are, after all, trying to recreate the Ocean. Flow is important for the bacteria in the rocks to do their jobs properly.

Also, I was looking through your previous threads and saw about your hair algae problem. Did you get a clean up crew? A really good guide is to go to;
Reef Cleaners - Clean up Crews and Macroalgae Reef Cleaners https://www.reefcleaners.org
Use his 'Quick Crews' size for your tank as a guide. His website is an excellent source if info, and it is a very good place to buy from. While I myself have not had much luck with them dealing with algae, a good CUC is important to keep everything clean.

Do you use natural sea water? If you do, you might want to look at Paul B on here.

You might want to search 'canister filter' on here. There are people who successfully use them. Also search 'bacterial bloom'

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mechanical filter material;
https://intankaquatics.com/intank-bonded-poly-filter-floss-value-pack-3-pads/

There are many other options, above is just an example. It's just to trap small particles. It's the 1st stage in any filter system. In a sump a lot of people use filter socks or now a roller, all for the same purpose.

As for flow, IMHO, you want to have enough water movement so that a coral's tentacles will sway back and forth, and have surface ripples. You are, after all, trying to recreate the Ocean. Flow is important for the bacteria in the rocks to do their jobs properly.

Also, I was looking through your previous threads and saw about your hair algae problem. Did you get a clean up crew? A really good guide is to go to;
Reef Cleaners - Clean up Crews and Macroalgae Reef Cleaners https://www.reefcleaners.org
Use his 'Quick Crews' size for your tank as a guide. His website is an excellent source if info, and it is a very good place to buy from. While I myself have not had much luck with them dealing with algae, a good CUC is important to keep everything clean.

Do you use natural sea water? If you do, you might want to look at Paul B on here.

You might want to search 'canister filter' on here. There are people who successfully use them. Also search 'bacterial bloom'
I read up on mechanical filtration. We do have plenty of that in the canister.

Maybe I should add another power head. I mean most of the Duncan's move ok, but sometimes they look a little stagnant. I kinda know where the flow is heavy and where it's a little weaker in the tank.

Yeah I got a clean up crew (various snails, hermits and an emrald crab) but to be really honest I still have that hair alge problem. Mainly grows on the zoas which is kinda annoying.

I don't use natural sea water, I'm in north Texas way to far from any sea water source.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, from what you wrote I misunderstood. You do use RODI water to to make you saltwater and for top offs, right?
The saltwater I get for waterchanges comes from my tank cleaning guy, he gets it at a fish store locally..

For top offs I use RODI water provided to me by my fish guy as well. Getting ready to teach myself how to make saltwater.

Magok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,
Assuming you don't have a skimmer I would be getting worried about the oxygen levels if this is indeed a bacterial bloom. How are the fish behaving and what is you pH?
Btw following this to see how it will turn out!

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to test all the parameters now and report back.

Clowns seem to be doing what the always do, diamond goby also.

Blue tang is hiding more than normal although I can't see past 4" in there, only time I see it is when I feed them. Royal gamma is Fine also. Shrimps seem ok when the food comes to. The only corals that seem effected are some of the zoas.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of tomorrow this is going to be a one week problem. Most bacteria blooms I read about last 2 to 4 days. A week to two max but that seems really rare. It's so cloudy I can't see any of my fish except the clowns, everybody else seems to be hiding out. Figured I'd give an update.

Attachments

• 20240115_202442.jpg
    20240115_202442.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240115_195259.jpg
    20240115_195259.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 58

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back