OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we are.. 60 hours after putting in the Green Killing Machine, bubblerX2, and additional Powerhead here's what it looks like. Still not perfect but I think another day and we should be good. I'll post one more time once it's totally clear.

Pics from the night I put all of this is, 7 days after the bacterial bloom started(tankolapse) to today.

Attachments

• 20240119_101648.jpg
    20240119_101648.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240114_151808.jpg
    20240114_151808.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 40

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a few days. The water passes through past the uv light slowly to enable it to spend time enough to affect the bacteria. It needs time.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that. I put it in there Tuesday night and it's still not totally clear but when looking from the side across it(72") you can't clearly see across it but looking from the front to the back 18" you can kinda clearly see through it.

It's been a slow go, the tank was treacherous. I could not see 2" into the tank for a week. So if you can imagine, it was alot of bacteria to kill off. I'll update when it's totally clear.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS it is a phytoplankton bloom, not a bacterial bloom (or at least not just bacteria)

ronaldo_720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that. I put it in there Tuesday night and it's still not totally clear but when looking from the side across it(72") you can't clearly see across it but looking from the front to the back 18" you can kinda clearly see through it.

It's been a slow go, the tank was treacherous. I could not see 2" into the tank for a week. So if you can imagine, it was alot of bacteria to kill off. I'll update when it's totally clear.
Update?

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear the Green Killing Machine has done its work as it did for me. Once my water cleared, I removed it. Since bacteria are part of what goes on in a tank environment and this time it was just an overgrowth I feel as if it’s best to remove it, clean it up and keep on hand if needed again. It’s a great fit for me as I didn’t feel capable of the plumbing needed in the sump especially with a metric size plumbing system and do not want to add more equipment to maintain. Others have a uv plumbed and run it intermittently. I can’t speak to that but it is an option.
I’ve had my Red Sea 650P for 6-7 years and until recently hadn’t had a bacterial bloom to any degree. It’s easy to use the GKM— far less expensive, does what it says, and doesn’t complicate the tank system which lets me enjoy the reason I have a tank.
Looks like you’re on the way to a healthy tank.

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we are.. 60 hours after putting in the Green Killing Machine, bubblerX2, and additional Powerhead here's what it looks like. Still not perfect but I think another day and we should be good. I'll post one more time once it's totally clear.

Pics from the night I put all of this is, 7 days after the bacterial bloom started(tankolapse) to today.
How do things look by now and would you recommend the green killing machine again or did you add other equipment? Just analyzing whether to add to my tank. Appreciate your thoughts.

OP
OP
S

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do things look by now and would you recommend the green killing machine again or did you add other equipment? Just analyzing whether to add to my tank. Appreciate your thoughts.
It's never been so clear. If you need the green machine in a pinch I'd say it's definitely effective. In actuality it took about 2 weeks to totally clear up. Maybe closer to 3 weeks. I used the green machine for about a week, it started the process and cleared it up to the point where we could see to the back of the tank again.

After a week the uv light I ordered came in and we hooked that thing up and took the green machine out. Been running that uv 24/7 ever since. Some people would say you shouldn't run it 24/7 but I can't see what the problem is. The clarity is unbelievable.

The best thing to do would be get a uv light from the start and don't get to the point where you have to use the green killing machine but it's definitely worth the money for it.

Attachments

• 20240218_131720.jpg
    20240218_131720.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 16

SlasherZ

I dunno, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this and I'm Kinda going through the same thing... Pretty much followed the same steps through my own guesses/intuition and I'm currently seeing a huge improvement! Glad to see these things work... The packaging and price felt sorta gimmicky or like snake oil at first!

Thanks for posting, friend!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back