Coral Lineage: Do People Care Anymore? How Do You Prove It?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I care about lineage for exspensive corals and inverts. Beyond that, I care about their aquaculture time in the hobby more and if I like them

OP
OP
ReefStable

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I care about lineage for exspensive corals and inverts. Beyond that, I care about their aquaculture time in the hobby more and if I like them
And for lineage, do you prove it somehow or is it based on the name (i.e ASD Holy Grail)?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t care about the lineage name but for some reason JF would be my go to. Hes so personable and still does shows. Maybe others are like this but hes the only one I’ve ever met and ALL of his corals ive bought have survived in my tank. Im literally lifting right now with his shirt one.

IMG_0719.jpeg

The rest are all about the dollar sign to me. Even most sponsors here.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind some naming, aside from the scientific name, but I could care less about lineage, specially today, there is no lineage, there must be at least 10 name versions for each acropora tenuis in the trade, because they look different in every tank, even in my two tanks they look different and they have the exact same everything. When I started in the hobby the name dropping was already in effect but not to the extent it is now, now everyone thinks they should name that coral and gives their store more cache.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have touched on it, but I want to expand on it more, because it really bothers me.
Lets say you are a reefer that follows a well known brand of aqua cultured coral retailer. You down load their lighting schedules follow their parameters etc. This is a brand you follow and trust. You go to your first RAP and you have saved all your money so you can buy some corals from that brand. But in all likelihood the corals this person buys are NOT grown out at the brands farm. They have been purchased pre-show from other sellers and they are selling it as their own.
So the question is, when does the lineage start? During grow out or at the point of sale?
If you are selling another reefers corals and calling it your own, the whole point of lineage is kind of a mute point now isn't it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back