Accurately test nitrates using hanna phosphate checker

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone looking for an accurate, reliable way to measure nitrates in your reef tank, I think I have found a good solution.

This method mixes the red sea test kit with the hanna phosphate ulr ppm checker.

I found through testing a known nitrate solution that the red sea test kit is fairly difficult to read, especially at lower values. For me, anything under 5ppm looked like 0, and 10ppm looked like 5ppm. I struggle with seeing the light shades of pink/red.

So I found a solution. Use the hanna checker to read it. This does require a few extra steps, but is pretty simple to do.

You need 2 cuvettes, and you need to measure them to be sure they both read the same. To do this, simply fill both cuvettes with water, place in the checker and measure c1, then remove it and place the other cuvette inside and click the button. You should get a reading of 0.00. If you don't, clean the cuvettes and try again. If you still don't, purchase new cuvettes, or account for the difference in your measurements later.

Start with 5ml of tank water in a hanna cuvette (c2) Add 5ml of new, unused saltwater, bringing the total to 10ml in the cuvette. Place 5 drops of red sea part a and shake for 10 seconds. Add 1 level scoop of red sea part b, shake and let stand for 1 minute. Add 1 level scoop of part c, shake for 10 seconds, let stand for 9 minutes.

Fill the other cuvette (c1) with 10ml of sample water. Place c1 into the checker and click the button. Then place c2 into the checker and press the button (do not hold as this will start a 3 min timer). Record your reading and reference the chart for your nitrate ppm. It's that easy.

You may notice some bubbles or particles floating in c2. I like to turn the cuvette horizontally and slowly roll it around before the 9min timer goes off to get all the bubbles off the glass. You can also tap lightly on the side of the glass to help make the bubbles and particles float to the top. This is the hardest part of the process, as these bubbles and particles will throw your measurements off if you do not get rid of them.

Each 1ppm of nitrates will measure as 0.09 ppm on the checker. So it goes as follows:

Hanna ppm. Nitrate ppm
0.09 1
0.18 2
0.27 3
0.36 4
0.45 5
0.54 6
0.63 7
0.72 8
0.81 9
0.90 10

I know a lot of people will not see this as useful as a lot of you do not care about nitrates, but for those like me, wanting to run low numbers but make sure you are staying above 0, and staying close to a certain ratio with your phosphates (such as redfield ratio), this can be super helpful. So hopefully this helps someone, I know it has helped me.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone looking for an accurate, reliable way to measure nitrates in your reef tank, I think I have found a good solution.

This method mixes the red sea test kit with the hanna phosphate ulr ppm checker.

I found through testing a known nitrate solution that the red sea test kit is fairly difficult to read, especially at lower values. For me, anything under 5ppm looked like 0, and 10ppm looked like 5ppm. I struggle with seeing the light shades of pink/red.

So I found a solution. Use the hanna checker to read it. This does require a few extra steps, but is pretty simple to do.

You need 2 cuvettes, and you need to measure them to be sure they both read the same. To do this, simply fill both cuvettes with water, place in the checker and measure c1, then remove it and place the other cuvette inside and click the button. You should get a reading of 0.00. If you don't, clean the cuvettes and try again. If you still don't, purchase new cuvettes, or account for the difference in your measurements later.

Start with 5ml of tank water in a hanna cuvette (c2) Add 5ml of new, unused saltwater, bringing the total to 10ml in the cuvette. Place 5 drops of red sea part a and shake for 10 seconds. Add 1 level scoop of red sea part b, shake and let stand for 1 minute. Add 1 level scoop of part c, shake for 10 seconds, let stand for 9 minutes.

Fill the other cuvette (c1) with 10ml of sample water. Place c1 into the checker and click the button. Then place c2 into the checker and press the button (do not hold as this will start a 3 min timer). Record your reading and reference the chart for your nitrate ppm. It's that easy.

You may notice some bubbles or particles floating in c2. I like to turn the cuvette horizontally and slowly roll it around before the 9min timer goes off to get all the bubbles off the glass. You can also tap lightly on the side of the glass to help make the bubbles and particles float to the top. This is the hardest part of the process, as these bubbles and particles will throw your measurements off if you do not get rid of them.

Each 1ppm of nitrates will measure as 0.09 ppm on the checker. So it goes as follows:

Hanna ppm. Nitrate ppm
0.09 1
0.18 2
0.27 3
0.36 4
0.45 5
0.54 6
0.63 7
0.72 8
0.81 9
0.90 10

I know a lot of people will not see this as useful as a lot of you do not care about nitrates, but for those like me, wanting to run low numbers but make sure you are staying above 0, and staying close to a certain ratio with your phosphates (such as redfield ratio), this can be super helpful. So hopefully this helps someone, I know it has helped me.
Now to source a red sea kit. This is very interesting. Any idea of true accuracy and how did you come about those conversions?

OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now to source a red sea kit. This is very interesting. Any idea of true accuracy and how did you come about those conversions?

I'm pretty confident in the numbers. I took a gallon of new tropic marin pro saltwater, and mixed potassium nitrate with that gallon to come up with a solution of 10ppm nitrate. I used a scale to weigh out exactly a gallon of water to down to a tenth of a gram, same with the potassium nitrate. I began all my testing from there.

I then diluted that 10ppm concentration to several different values to confirm the other numbers. I am confident it is at least very close to accurate. I have run tests several times to confirm accuracy and consistency.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty awesome. I may need to order a Red Sea nitrate kit.
My eyes just have a hard time differentiating shades of colors...

OP
OP
C

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty awesome. I may need to order a Red Sea nitrate kit.
My eyes just have a hard time differentiating shades of colors...
This is why I started experimenting. I have been tested to have a slight color blindness and I simply cannot see any of the light shades of pink/red or green. They all look clear to my eyes. This method takes the guesswork out of it for me. So much easier and makes me a lot more confident in my parameters.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Dan_P was the originator of this. Here's the detailed write up from 2018.

james670

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info! I was wondering which specific Red Sea nitrate test kit you used, since I've seen two different versions. Did you use the Red Sea Nitrate Pro or the Red Sea Nitrate/Nitrite test kit?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back