Achilles/gold-rim hybrid troubles!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! His fins are in bad shape now that I moved him from the sump to the qt and got to get a closer look.
Sounds like ammonia burn to me. Need more frequent water changes I suspect.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the water changes, what could help him if it were ammonia burn?

If there are no meds in the water, prime can help prevent it. I am not sure what else you can do. [HASHTAG]#humblefish[/HASHTAG] is your guy. He is more equipped to advise

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your biggest concern at this point would be ammonia burn.

^^This. Even if he appears to be fine, you need to give this fish a 1 hr bath using either Malachite Green or Methylene Blue. Prolonged ammonia exposure can damage a fish’s gills, liver and kidneys. After the bath I would treat with this combination in a QT: Kanaplex, Metroplex and Furan-2. This treatment protocol gives your fish the best chance of recovery.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used that combo before. I've used Furan 2 a lot, and I've used it with Cupramine too. Furan is a good medication, but make sure you measure your tank's inside dimensions and use a volume calculator to get an accurate water volume. I find dosing is very important.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Malachite Green/Methylene Blue: Treats ammonia burn, cuts, injuries.

How To Treat - Comes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication(s). So, follow the directions on the label. Best used as a 30 minute bath solution, but you also can treat with it in a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily. If you are using it in a bath solution, then it is also a good idea to treat the fish with nitrofurazone (active ingredient found in Furan-2 and Nitrofuracin Green Powder) once he is returned to the quarantine tank. Nitrofurazone is great for treating open wounds or sores.

Pros - Highly effective.

Cons/Side Effects - Depletes oxygen from the water. Malachite Green is considered “harsher” on fish than Methylene Blue.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the feeding turn out? Any live foods being offered by chance? If he's not eating WELL and the water quality flagged, you may have more work to do to get things right for recovery. Being in qt is tough on top of all else he is goin thru.

Good luck!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shall we count the stressors? ;)

Let’s stop and think about this. You’re a fish. You just travelled thousands of miles, spending time in various tanks with poor water quality. So poor, in fact, that an estimated 70-90% of the other fish didn’t make it. You’ve also been exposed to countless pathogens and may have not eaten for days or even weeks. So, which seems like the least stressful option to you? Dumped in a DT, filled with other fish less than thrilled about your arrival, with whom you must immediately compete for food and territory. Or would you prefer a tank of your very own; so you can rest, eat without competition and be strengthened before joining the DT.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your display tank isn't obviously better and less stressful on your fish than your QT, then you're definitely doing something wrong. :)

But seriously, every fish, for every reason you mentioned, deserves to be in a welcoming display tank ASAP. Qt is not very important if there is no welcoming display tank, such as in the example you describe. I would choose to make myself the LFS owner in the example and, having been able to interview the customer, would not sell the fish into the example situation. I'm glad there is a QT, but it sounds like the example display tank is full and not necessarily with compatible fish.

To the OP's case: even while treatments are being considered - feeding is important. If he's not eating, it is of primary concern as he will not heal if he doesn't eat.

If he is eating, is it just nori, or is he taking anything else? Hoping for an update! :)

OP
OP
K

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure where this display tank rant came from but obviously people shouldn't be buying fish if they don't have a home for them. My display tank is completely empty besides rock, water and Sps, and I did not buy this fish. This discussion was for the healing of a fish guys. Thanks for all the input on treatment options, I am trying to get him better not have a debate( later time and thread ). I am doing a series of water changes to get the qt water quality up and then I will treat with furan-2 and kanaplex. I need to pick up the metroplex as @Humblefish recommended. @Humblefish what exactly is the metro for? Would it increase his chances if I went to pick it up ? Thanks!

OP
OP
K

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your display tank isn't obviously better and less stressful on your fish than your QT, then you're definitely doing something wrong. :)

But seriously, every fish, for every reason you mentioned, deserves to be in a welcoming display tank ASAP. Qt is not very important if there is no welcoming display tank, such as in the example you describe. I would choose to make myself the LFS owner in the example and, having been able to interview the customer, would not sell the fish into the example situation. I'm glad there is a QT, but it sounds like the example display tank is full and not necessarily with compatible fish.

To the OP's case: even while treatments are being considered - feeding is important. If he's not eating, it is of primary concern as he will not heal if he doesn't eat.

If he is eating, is it just nori, or is he taking anything else? Hoping for an update! :)
Hey, he isn't eating and I am not feeding until I can get the water quality better and start the treatment. I have been told to with hold feedings so I don't fowl the water while trying to treat. Thanks for you input and caring for the fish.

OP
OP
K

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, he isn't eating and I am not feeding until I can get the water quality better and start the treatment. I have been told to with hold feedings for a day so I don't fowl the water while trying to treat. Thanks for you input and caring for the fish.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do large water changes, I used to do 70-90% in my QT tanks no problem. Just adjust PH with something like Araga milk and ensure the water you're adding is the same temperature.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back