Achilles / hawaii

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not impossible just a lot more expensive and a lot less available. Obviously there aren't any shows going on right now but every show I've been to post ban has had a few tables with them. Sometimes you can get them for a reasonable price.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At this point idc a out the cost so much. If it's double, it's double. So long as it's not something really stupid like $10k lol

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point idc a out the cost so much. If it's double, it's double. So long as it's not something really stupid like $10k lol
That's the spirit lol. I'd reach out to lfs and see if they can have one shipped to them or again I would check at shows. Last time I was at a show I saw one go for 250 (which I think would be fair) and another one (that was quite beat up) sold for over 500 if I remember.

Sadly the only advice I can give is just to wait for one to become available. Multiple websites have waitlists and email notifications and you could try that route or like I said contact a local fish store.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try to get one now because right now most LFS have no idea of the ban till they try to order one and cant.
Most the hobby wont even know there is a ban.

This fish is in a few other places but who knows how many are collected there or even if they are collected in the other places.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that Hawaii exports are closed, does this mean my dream of getting an Achilles is impossible?

Is your tank ready for it? You can probably order one here. I ordered some hawaii fish from him and no markup. I have seen some yellow tangs and such double on others websites. :(

One of my LFS here had one this week that was quarantined for 28 days, $500 but looked great. Too bad they are mean. My husband really likes them.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles range is much broader than just Hawaii; as is true for the yellow and the naso, but little question that the prices are going to skyrocket. AT was already $400 plus on DD; wouldn't be surprised to see them close to $1K moving forward. If you've got one, take care of it!! Situation with fish that are ONLY found in Hawaii, like the Potters Angel, means we probably don't see wild-caught ones again for sale.

Last edited:

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore or we can start supporting people that captive breed these species. Trying to start a dialogue with this group since my wife and I have a house near their facilities.

Yes, I agree! I had forgotten that the potters has been captive bred. I'm actually planning to buy a biota yellow tang to support what these folks are doing. Has seemed for some time that CB is the future of our hobby .... now much more definitively so.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is your tank ready for it? You can probably order one here. I ordered some hawaii fish from him and no markup. I have seen some yellow tangs and such double on others websites. :(

One of my LFS here had one this week that was quarantined for 28 days, $500 but looked great. Too bad they are mean. My husband really likes them.
He doesn't have one in stock :(

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn't have one in stock :(

Oh... well if you want to drive to Milwaukee...there’s one at a LFS here.

C51A994B-3347-470B-8FEF-15776264963A.jpeg

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come from Tahiti as well. They have been coming in but are much more expensive than the Hawaiian ones.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here my say on this. I want an Achilles for my tank upgrade, its my favorite tang. I ordered one recently, and it was DOA, so yea, I was trying to get ahead of the band. The fact is they are available, but with Hawaii shutting down, the price will go up. It is what it is. It all depends on the vendor and how much you want it and are willing to pay. It sticks, trust me, I know, but it is what it is again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back