Achilles tang and ich?

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Well as the titles says I bough a Achilles tang (yes I know there really susceptible to ich and stress). Now that being said the tang is full of marks that look like ich even if there is no scratching or heavy breathing. It's also eating (which is a relief) but I need to make it better to avoid further problems.

I have a huge UV (pentair smart 40 UV) that keeps any outbreak at bay (it's now on 24/7). The other fishes are showing no sign of infection.

I'm attaching some pictures for reference.

Any help is appreciated.

IMG_20230104_140355.jpg IMG_20230104_140354.jpg IMG_20230104_140345.jpg IMG_20230104_140346.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone!

Well as the titles says I bough a Achilles tang (yes I know there really susceptible to ich and stress). Now that being said the tang is full of marks that look like ich even if there is no scratching or heavy breathing. It's also eating (which is a relief) but I need to make it better to avoid further problems.

I have a huge UV (pentair smart 40 UV) that keeps any outbreak at bay (it's now on 24/7). The other fishes are showing no sign of infection.

Any help is appreciated.

IMG_20230104_140355.jpg IMG_20230104_140354.jpg IMG_20230104_140345.jpg IMG_20230104_140346.jpg
Theyre more susceptible to velvet than ich but these look like idiopathic mucus plugs and likely cryptocaryon which is Marine Ich and a freshwater dip will offer temporary relief IF fish is not breathing heavily. After dip, You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how helpful...

I had an Achilles and Achilles Hybrid in my tank and had always heard of how big of ich magnets they were.

Not sure if just low stress in my tank or all the QT I did (including coral and inverts) kept ich out of the tank.

In the end both Achilles were in the tank and never saw a spot.

If your tank isn't large enough or has enough swimming / hiding areas, I don't think the Achilles will work.

Since ich is in the tank, it'll always be there unless you pull all the fish. Like you said, UV is just a bandaid on a broken bone.

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a ich outbreak in my tank (2 years since the new setup) and the rest of the fish are fine, no marks at all... so this cant be counted as outbreak. I cant take the fish out and leave the main tank fishless, way to much stress and way to much fish to keep in a stable condition.

My main question would be ... does that look like ich? if so is there a way to keep stress down in the fish so it doesn't get any worse. As I said its eating and not showing any signals thats makes think thats going for worse.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never had a ich outbreak in my tank (2 years since the new setup) and the rest of the fish are fine, no marks at all... so this cant be counted as outbreak. I cant take the fish out and leave the main tank fishless, way to much stress and way to much fish to keep in a stable condition.

My main question would be ... does that look like ich? if so is there a way to keep stress down in the fish so it doesn't get any worse. As I said its eating and not showing any signals thats makes think thats going for worse.
I think you already got your answer and sorry it isn't one that is easy or you would want to hear. It sucks.
"
Theyre more susceptible to velvet than ich but these look like idiopathic mucus plugs and likely cryptocaryon which is Marine Ich and a freshwater dip will offer temporary relief IF fish is not breathing heavily. After dip, You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Any help is appreciated.

The pictures aren't super-clear, but this seems to be a mixture of ich trophonts and mucus plugs (which are probably a reaction to the trophonts). I think I can see spots on the clear portions of the fins - mucus plugs are more confined to the body, so spots on the fins are usually ich.

Achilles have two strikes against them - they are often the first fish to show signs of ich, and their black bodies show it well, so you can see the start of an infection on them first.

When an ich infection first starts, you won't see any rapid breathing and the fish will still feed fine. In many cases, they don't even scratch.

Ich management by reducing stress (good water, good diet, UV) only works to a degree. The problem is that the ich theronts themselves cause stress, so if the disease advances beyond a certain point, all other means of stress reduction can fail to overcome that.

Watch for ANY spots on the other fish - that is an indication that the disease is spreading.

Jay

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You may have just introduced the reason you find out that you actually Can take all the fish out of the system.

It's not fun, believe me. I've got a 300 empty other than one wrasse I'm yet to catch. If it gets bad enough, and fish start dying, you may reconsider what is possible.

Or may just have to let it take its course and see where you land in the end.

There only thing you can do now is wait and see. Ensure stress is low, nutrition is on point, uv working at the correct flow rate.

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Everybody. Well the fish is still alive and eating. All other fishes show no signs of infection. I noticed this white filaments in the body. I don't know what they could be?

Ich seems to be residing....

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230118_085226~2.jpg
    IMG_20230118_085226~2.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 96

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture isn’t super clear, so tough to evaluate (I know getting fish pics is difficult).
Looks like at least some of the spots are mucus plugs. These show up on some tangs as a reaction to some irritation - can be ich, can be copper, or can be from unknown reasons.
If the spots change in number and location from day to day, that is a better indication they are caused by ich.
Jay

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Achilles is ich free. No need to take it out. Just make use the UV at the correct flow for killing ich, leave it on 24/7. Also lots of food (specially the one he likes mixed with other that I make that's basically protein and good quality flakes) and some vitamin supplements added to all.

Here is a picture of the chunky happy fish

Attachments

• IMG_20230211_092232.jpg
    IMG_20230211_092232.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20230211_092232.jpg
    IMG_20230211_092232.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 64

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how helpful...

I had an Achilles and Achilles Hybrid in my tank and had always heard of how big of ich magnets they were.

Not sure if just low stress in my tank or all the QT I did (including coral and inverts) kept ich out of the tank.

In the end both Achilles were in the tank and never saw a spot.

If your tank isn't large enough or has enough swimming / hiding areas, I don't think the Achilles will work.

Since ich is in the tank, it'll always be there unless you pull all the fish. Like you said, UV is just a bandaid on a broken bone.
How long did you keep these guys? I tried back in the day and could only get to about 1 yr mark at best.. been debating to try now..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you keep these guys? I tried back in the day and could only get to about 1 yr mark at best.. been debating to try now..

IMO - I'd pass on this species right now. With Hawaii closed to collection, any that you see on the market are coming from further away, and from less than quality sources (the Hawaiian collectors were pretty well regulated).

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back