Achilles tang help!

Mark 750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 1 beutiful fat Achilles tang to my display once!!! Within 18 hrs he was covered in ich, within 48 hours it was infecting my other fish and even though I have 2 tanks I ended up losing several fish including the Achilles, a Chevron, yellow tang, hippo, a naso and a goldflake angel. BIG MISTAKE! I am now very careful with my display and at everything. It's hard and i think most of us are guilty of impulse buying and going straight into the display.

OP
OP
J

jinbing0905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 1 beutiful fat Achilles tang to my display once!!! Within 18 hrs he was covered in ich, within 48 hours it was infecting my other fish and even though I have 2 tanks I ended up losing several fish including the Achilles, a Chevron, yellow tang, hippo, a naso and a goldflake angel. BIG MISTAKE! I am now very careful with my display and at everything. It's hard and i think most of us are guilty of impulse buying and going straight into the display.
beautiful tank, i am sorry about the lose

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm sorry to hear of the losses, but at least it sounds like you learned from it. Which is the best thing that can come from making a mistake.

We can tell folks to quarantine their fish, corals, inverts, etc. But unfortunately, it usually takes a gut-wrenching experience such as yours in order for change to occur.

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear of the losses, but at least it sounds like you learned from it. Which is the best thing that can come from making a mistake.

We can tell folks to quarantine their fish, corals, inverts, etc. But unfortunately, it usually takes a gut-wrenching experience such as yours in order for change to occur.

@Mark 750, beautiful tank and fish man! It is heart breaking reading stories like yours, but glad it seems like you've figured it out. I myself am just recovering from a similar situation after I added a powder brown that looked perfect at the store, turned out he was velvet riddled and took out 4 of my fish. I just now as of last week I have all healthy and fat eating fish back into a sterile display. As Humble said, myself included had to learn the hard way, for some reason I thought I was able to get away with out qt.... I now have 3 different tanks dedicated to qt of fish, corals, invert, and hospital.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper powered blue for 30 days
Yes that would be my choice.

I would also recommend you use the Hanna checker to monitor your level.

I treat at 1.75ppm for 30 days.

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will work,. Need to get yourself a good test kit to make sure you reach and maintain theraputic and never let it drop. See this thread as well for theraputic dosages and what test kits to use. Sorry to throw so much info at you, but it's good reading to help you and the fish. It's tried and true methodology.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/copper-test-kits.257924/

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishplace817

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will die soon...no disrespected. You need to qt in the beginning and after the water so be steady and clean. If my what I know from my colleague, it easy can get ich or infections.

OP
OP
J

jinbing0905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my 30 gal qt now
f03d8f23371ec2dfd488e21d2bd8b4f6.jpg

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news!!! I hope him the best, keep us posted on how he does. I love archilles tangs and would hate to see anything happen to him. Also fyi, you will want to pull that piece of rock you have in there out. It will absorb your copper and make it difficult to maintain copper dosage. Just use a sponge or filter floss or something non pourous for benefitial bacteria to grow to control ammonia. Most use just a cheap aqua clear hob with seeded sponges from their display

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%

Back