Achilles tang with a small laceration on right eye

Paalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for you guys, I have had an Achilles tang in QT since 09.03.17. It has been through Ich and he was treated with copper for 5 weeks and that is gone now. After that I noticed that his eye got swollen so I thought it was popeye, flukes or a bacterial infection followed by the copper treatment. So, I treated with Paraguard, the swelling went down but still a little cloudy eye after one week of Paraguard. Then I decided to do a round of Prazipro.

The case now is that he is eating everything I give him Vitalis algae flakes, TLF nori's, mysis, krill, cyclops, algae grazer from Vitalis +++ and doing very well with intense coloring and activity. The cloudiness and swelling is almost gone but now I can see a small laceration on the eye itself, maybe that has been the reason for the cloudy and swollen eye all the time? Any idea what this could be? Would it be a bad idea to transfer him to the DT? I can't for the life of me see how he can have anymore diseases now after all the treatment he has gone through(over 3 months in QT).

What would you guys recommend, transfer him to my DT to give him optimal conditions(660 gallon tank) or treat him with Seachem Kanaplex for bacterial infections for a week. Please advice guys.

OP
OP
P

Paalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one eye looks damaged? Can you post a pic?
Just one eye yes, I have tried to take a picture but you know how an Achilles is in a tank with lots of flow hehe. Pretty hyper active:) The lights are off now but I can try again tomorrow, problem is I can't promise I am able to get a decent photo.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one eye yes, I have tried to take a picture but you know how an Achilles is in a tank with lots of flow hehe. Pretty hyper active:) The lights are off now but I can try again tomorrow, problem is I can't promise I am able to get a decent photo.

The laceration is probably physical damage, which got infected. I personally would treat with erythromycin for 10 days to finish the infection off and hope the eye can heal after that.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The laceration is probably physical damage, which got infected. I personally would treat with erythromycin for 10 days to finish the infection off and hope the eye can heal after that.

agreed. This would be my course of action as well.

OP
OP
P

Paalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the quick feedback, my challenge is getting erythromycin here in Norway antibiotics is strictly regulated over here. Would Seachem Kanaplex work? If not can anybody point me in the right direction on where to get erythromycin in the US, EBay or Amazon maybe? Does erythromycin sell under any trademark for marine fish applications?

OP
OP
P

Paalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG
IMG_0893.JPG
It is almost impossible to get a proper picture but here is a couple of equally poor videos. You see a little but not very much.
I'll include a couple of pictures too but I do not know what value they have, but at least I tried.
https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=VG9vjy
https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=qRXWEe

IMG_0896.JPG

OP
OP
P

Paalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did another round of Prazipro, I saw him twitch his head a little. Maybe that is just irritation from the stuff on his eye but I thought that 5 days with Prazipro wouldn't hurt. Do you agree?
I also figured that after those 5 days I will do a 75% water change and treat him with Seachem Kanaplex which is a broad spectrum antibiotics for a week. Then another 75% large WC and observe for another week. Does this sound like a plan? Please, I do appreciate any output from you guys if you agree or disagree.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X4 this is more common in Achilles IME and requires quick action and patience in the antibiotic.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to kanaplex being a good second choice.

But, you'll want to run the antibiotic for at least 10 days, maybe longer if it's still lingering after.

OP
OP
P

Paalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks alot for the feedback. I am a patient man but I am starting to feel for the little guy who have soon spent 4 months in a 65 gallon tank, he is so active that I bet he will have a better time in a 3 meter long tank. How long would you guys say it is ok to have him in a 65?

I don't want to to anything wrong here cause I know the nature of Achilles and I am just lucky that I was able to get one here in Norway. The last thing I want to do is loose him because he spent to much time in a small tank.

Anyway to summarize this. I will now leave him in the new round of Prazipro for 5 days. Then do a 75% WC. Then leave him in Kanaplex(that is what I have) for a week. Then maybe a couple of days in non medicated water for observation before I transfer him to the DT. Does this sound ok?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 65 gal QT is fine. He's probably agitated from the lack of swimming space, but that's not gonna kill him. ;)

You plan looks good, except treat with Kanaplex for 10-14 days. :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, my Achilles is in a 29 gallon QT and doing pretty great. Especially after I transferred him into it from the 10 gallon. lol It's the Achilles and a Hippo and a CBB all together. They are certainly active fish, and enjoy the room to roam, but the small space won't kill him in such a short time.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I'll stick to my plan but extend the Kanaplex to 10-14 days.
Good plan. Keep us posted! :)

OP
OP
P

Paalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update and need for more advice. So I treated with Kanaplex for 12 days and the Achilles is looking better, still eating like a pig and are very active and alert.
I can still see a small white "speck" on the eye and a little white area just outside of the eyeball. I have also noticed a small white speck on one of the pectoral fin other than that he is doing great.

He's been in QT now for well over four months and I really want to move him to the DT, he can't stay in QT forever:) Please advice folks, is it to early? I can't for the life of me see that he can possibly care any inefectious diseases now after all the meds I have put him through?

What would you have done, please advice.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update and need for more advice. So I treated with Kanaplex for 12 days and the Achilles is looking better, still eating like a pig and are very active and alert.
I can still see a small white "speck" on the eye and a little white area just outside of the eyeball. I have also noticed a small white speck on one of the pectoral fin other than that he is doing great.

He's been in QT now for well over four months and I really want to move him to the DT, he can't stay in QT forever:) Please advice folks, is it to early? I can't for the life of me see that he can possibly care any inefectious diseases now after all the meds I have put him through?

What would you have done, please advice.
Every tang should sit in therapeutic levels of copper and CP for 30 days before being added to the tank. However, it appears you did that. Have you added any fish within that 30 day period or share any equipment (or even arms) with other tanks?

OP
OP
P

Paalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done them all as you can see in previous posts:) Last was Kanaplex for 12 days. And no he is all alone in the tank, going on 4 months.

OP
OP
P

Paalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to answer the last part of your question, I have not used any equipment from another tank. Neither have I contaminated between tanks.

Back