Achilles tang with hole in head/hlle...idk?

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been receiving a whole setup from a friends friend including the fish. This tang has been in this transfer tank for about a week with some other fish from the same system. I know the previous owner is religious about quarantining. Any ideas what's going on with this guy and what should I do?
9b29a59ebcfa4c77fecccec374193d49.jpg
e40759e28134c539d761b1530ab1830e.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say. It could just be damage/injuries from rock or other fish. Any behavioral symptoms to go along with this? Heavy breathing, lack of appetite, lethargy, hiding excessively?

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say. It could just be damage/injuries from rock or other fish. Any behavioral symptoms to go along with this? Heavy breathing, lack of appetite, lethargy, hiding excessively?

No appetite and lethargy. He's just kinda of swaying in the current out in the open but not hiding. He is in there with a clown tang which was my first thought but I could tell for sure

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really looks like damage. It could be getting infected. No other fish are showing any symptoms? You might start antibiotics right now. If you have a separate tank you can put him in for this, all the better. I'd start with kanaplex or furan2... both if you have them. If you have Acriflavin (or ruby reef rally) then a 45 minute dip in that before starting the antibiotics is a good plan as well.

OP
OP
J

Jrco226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really looks like damage. It could be getting infected. No other fish are showing any symptoms? You might start antibiotics right now. If you have a separate tank you can put him in for this, all the better. I'd start with kanaplex or furan2... both if you have them. If you have Acriflavin (or ruby reef rally) then a 45 minute dip in that before starting the antibiotics is a good plan as well.

Unfortunately it did not make it through the night. Such a bummer since I just received him. I'm going to have to give up the clown tang but idk anyone who would want such an aggressive tang.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree also looks a bit like flukes do on an Achilles. Sorry for your loss :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree also looks a bit like flukes do on an Achilles. Sorry for your loss :(

I agree. Fluke bite marks + secondary bacterial infection. However, that's not to say the fish didn't also have ectoparasites.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back