ACIII - help with buying used

mattgreene22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, not sure if this exactly the best spot to post...but looks like it. Help please...

Someone is offering to sell me their old ACIII and it comes with a DC8, HD4, and HD2. I have to BRS dosers which is the primary reason I want a controller, but these are lower voltage and I'm told there are issues people sometimes have with the various relay types on contollers. Triac vs mechanical...but I'm not fully up to speed.

What do I need to make sure of before I buy this thing? I don't want to get stuck with a brick or something that does a lot, but doesn't do my dosers. I already know the internet functionaility is not working.

Things I would presumably control:
  • two BRS dosers
  • two 2x39w T5 HO (2 outlets)
  • two-four powerheads (only using two now)
  • skimmer
  • return pump
  • heater and fans (later, not sure I'd trust the probes provided)
  • fuge light and fuge pump (later, not set up now)
Thanks! Cheers!

tangreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive ran my AC3 for a year and it controls my kalk reactor and a dosing pump to feed pytho

i have it control the following
fuge light
uv
kalk
dosing pump
frag tank halide
heater
fans

i would not use it to control the return pump or skimmer.. id suggest running those two on dedicated power switches like a DJ strip.. ive had issues where the skimmer turns on and it doesnt balance out and fills up then floods the collection cup back into the sump

it does alot you just need to make codes for everything

also if you buy the package and dont need the DC4hd ill buy it from you

thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mattgreene22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply...do you run your doser any specific outlet of the DC8 or does it not matter? are you by any chance using the BRS dosers as would I?

will keep you mind in case I do buy and come up with extra outlets. any thoughts on the going rate for all this stuff?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also if you buy the package and dont need the DC4hd ill buy it from you

Dang beat me to it... I was thinking the same thing ;)

Just a few things to check when buying it:

1. Physical damage - Look for cracks or corrosion on the equipment and connections. Power it on and make sure it lights up.

2. Ask if it has any bad outlets. Unfortunately you cannot easily test it without some sort of device to turn on and off with the controller fully set up.

3. Verify the pH probe was stored wet if it is disconnected. They will dry out if they are not kept wet and can harm the probe.

The BRS dosers will work with ANY outlet on the HD units and outlets 4 and 8 of the DC8 unit. Those are the relay outlets and can handle the lower draw. The triacs are fine for everything else...

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any thoughts on the going rate for all this stuff?

Do a quick search on the current for sale threads. You will come up with some good numbers. Be sure to compare it to the cost of a new Apex though too as they are more powerful and honestly aren't that much more if you go with the lite version.

OP
OP
M

mattgreene22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cdness - thanks! I was hoping for a response like that vs the alternate possibility...sounds like I'd have at least 1 in 4 chance I could control my 2 dosers (if the HD outlets didn't all work). Maybe I'll take a little plug in tester too when I go to check it out, though I'm not yet sure how I'd check an outlet if was programmed for off at the time I plug it in.

Any other advice out there?

Also, this may come with an aquasurf...is that still widely used? I've never owned tunze and likely wouldn't start right now

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back