Acreflavin and hydrogen peroxide for velvet

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after making 1liter adding 10mg, howmuch to add? Like ml per liter or gallon?

Dosage is 10mg per liter. So, if your treatment tank was 10 gallons (roughly 40 liters), you would mix 400mg of powder acriflavine with saltwater in a container to make a solution. Once the acriflavine looks fully dissolved you can pour the solution into the QT. You just don't want to pour undissolved acriflavine into your QT and some of the powder accidentally comes into contact with the fish's skin.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosage is 10mg per liter. So, if your treatment tank was 10 gallons (roughly 40 liters), you would mix 400mg of powder acriflavine with saltwater in a container to make a solution. Once the acriflavine looks fully dissolved you can pour the solution into the QT. You just don't want to pour undissolved acriflavine into your QT and some of the powder accidentally comes into contact with the fish's skin.
Oh kool... well im plannin to setup of three 10"x10"x10", so 1 for fw, 1 for acri and 1 extra. And a qt 30x12x12" wud that be enough for qt? Ill be settingup these tanks once i setup my new 250g system. Plannin to make a hospital station basically, will make a rack.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per ruby rally, this is what they have formulated

The reagents in RALLY ™ are blended by a proprietary method that renders RALLY ™ much more effective than the sum of its parts -- i.e., acriflavine + aminoacridine + an activator (miniscule amount of formalin)

What if i make the same to store it n keep it? What shud be the proportion? I guess formalin is used as a preservative, if im not mistaken.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per ruby rally, this is what they have formulated

The reagents in RALLY ™ are blended by a proprietary method that renders RALLY ™ much more effective than the sum of its parts -- i.e., acriflavine + aminoacridine + an activator (miniscule amount of formalin)

What if i make the same to store it n keep it? What shud be the proportion? I guess formalin is used as a preservative, if im not mistaken.
I have used Ruby Reef Rally as my acriflavine source, and that product has worked well for me. However, I do not know what the formulation is (percentage of acriflavine, aminoacridine and formalin found therein.) I doubt that is something they would disclose for obvious reasons.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Ruby Reef Rally as my acriflavine source, and that product has worked well for me. However, I do not know what the formulation is (percentage of acriflavine, aminoacridine and formalin found therein.) I doubt that is something they would disclose for obvious reasons.
Coz 10mg per liter will be very difficult for me to measure.. the scale costs a bomb here in India. Can i store it in fw n use when needed? How long wud it last (expiery)?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what do u suggest for internal parasites, worms, thin white poop disease, flukes? Many here use melafix, pimafix and i recently came across praziquantel. I can arrange for prazi easily too. Any experience with it?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what do u suggest for internal parasites, worms, thin white poop disease, flukes? Many here use melafix, pimafix and i recently came across praziquantel. I can arrange for prazi easily too. Any experience with it?

Praziquantel is good for treating gill flukes (Monogeans) and will sometimes also treat intestinal worms. However, for prazi resistant intestinal worms you should use metronidazole instead. There are also prazi resistant flukes to consider (rare). For these you can either use osmotic shock or formalin (37% Formaldehyde).

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel is good for treating gill flukes (Monogeans) and will sometimes also treat intestinal worms. However, for prazi resistant intestinal worms you should use metronidazole instead. There are also prazi resistant flukes to consider (rare). For these you can either use osmotic shock or formalin (37% Formaldehyde).
Osmotic shock? U mean fw dip?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u help me with dissolving and storing acriflavine? Im getting 1kg pack.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Osmotic shock? U mean fw dip?

Hyposalinity (see below).

Hyposalinity: Treats Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) and gill flukes.

How To Treat - Place the fish you wish to treat in a quarantine tank with SG & temperature matching the tank they came from. Over a period of 48 hours, gradually lower the SG down to 1.009. You must use a perfectly calibrated refractometer at all times while doing hypo. Treat for 30 consecutive days, and during that time the SG must always remain at 1.009. If it inches up even slightly, the 30 day clock restarts. For this reason, many people use an auto top off system while performing hyposalinity. Some have even used hypo to successfully rid their display tank of ich, while others have failed. All corals and inverts must be removed beforehand if you wish to try this.

One of the challenges posed by hypo is maintaining a proper pH for the entire duration. While fish aren’t overly sensitive to low pH for short periods of time, anything continuously lower than 7.5 is going to be a problem. So, you will have to constantly test and then buffer the water to raise the pH. This can be accomplished by using supplements (available at most LFS) or you can “bake” your own DIY supplement by using baking soda. Spread baking soda onto a clean baking sheet, and bake at 300F for 1 hour. This process drives off water and carbon dioxide from the baking soda, and the result is an effective pH buffer. You will need to experiment (start with a very small amount) to determine how much is needed to raise your pH to the desired level.

Pros - Chemical free solution to ich, gentle on the fish.

Cons/Side Effects - Difficult to execute properly, and hypo resistant strains of ich have been proven to exist (study done by Yambot in 2003.)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u help me with dissolving and storing acriflavine? Im getting 1kg pack.

I only know how to dissolve it (using seawater). I have zero experience storing the powder in liquid form.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only know how to dissolve it (using seawater). I have zero experience storing the powder in liquid form.
I re read ur post, and uv mentioned, 1teaspoon per 5 gallons.. i guess this wud be simpler..

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, according to acriflavine ms msds, its

Acriflavine Neutral <6% CAS #: 8048-52-0
Water >94% CAS #: 7732-18-5

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity (see below).

Hyposalinity: Treats Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) and gill flukes.

How To Treat - Place the fish you wish to treat in a quarantine tank with SG & temperature matching the tank they came from. Over a period of 48 hours, gradually lower the SG down to 1.009. You must use a perfectly calibrated refractometer at all times while doing hypo. Treat for 30 consecutive days, and during that time the SG must always remain at 1.009. If it inches up even slightly, the 30 day clock restarts. For this reason, many people use an auto top off system while performing hyposalinity. Some have even used hypo to successfully rid their display tank of ich, while others have failed. All corals and inverts must be removed beforehand if you wish to try this.

One of the challenges posed by hypo is maintaining a proper pH for the entire duration. While fish aren’t overly sensitive to low pH for short periods of time, anything continuously lower than 7.5 is going to be a problem. So, you will have to constantly test and then buffer the water to raise the pH. This can be accomplished by using supplements (available at most LFS) or you can “bake” your own DIY supplement by using baking soda. Spread baking soda onto a clean baking sheet, and bake at 300F for 1 hour. This process drives off water and carbon dioxide from the baking soda, and the result is an effective pH buffer. You will need to experiment (start with a very small amount) to determine how much is needed to raise your pH to the desired level.

Pros - Chemical free solution to ich, gentle on the fish.

Cons/Side Effects - Difficult to execute properly, and hypo resistant strains of ich have been proven to exist (study done by Yambot in 2003.)
Yup, many here using this, has got ich coming back and not going away at those sg levels. They have treated using copper though and formalin bottles are always found at lfs here.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is api fungus powder tht contains acriflavine

6508fbda76ba89e183950cb6635fc334.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, many here using this, has got ich coming back and not going away at those sg levels. They have treated using copper though and formalin bottles are always found at lfs here.

There are hypo resistant strains of ich, but it appears to be a reliable method for treating flukes (see below).
Another method that can be used for capsalid monogeneans is hyposalinity. In one study, 15 g/L (ppt) salinity or lower for two days eliminated juvenile and adult Neobenedenia melleni. When 15 g/L was maintained for 5 days, the hatching of N. melleni eggs was prevented. It is important to note that some fish species may not tolerate this treatment method.

Source: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa033

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The api fungus powder has 30mg of acri per sachet, to be dissolved in 10g and for 48hrs then repeat.. so for long dips 30mg and for short dips 40mg as recomended by u..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The api fungus powder has 30mg of acri per sachet, to be dissolved in 10g and for 48hrs then repeat.. so for long dips 30mg and for short dips 40mg as recomended by u..

One of the nice things about acriflavine is it still effective even when underdosed, and I haven't noticed any ill effects when overdosed. So, you have a lot of wiggle room. This is not the case with formalin, it's counterpart.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the nice things about acriflavine is it still effective even when underdosed, and I haven't noticed any ill effects when overdosed. So, you have a lot of wiggle room. This is not the case with formalin, it's counterpart.
Thanks alot, iv recently made a new thread on qt new fish in extreme detail... please have a look and suggest me if im right or wrong..

https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...&share_tid=246319&share_fid=1020&share_type=t
Fish quarantine system detail

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back