Acro browining

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I know this info is generally available but I am unsure what to narrow it down to.

My parameters are stable and I am at 2ppm nitrate and .25 ppm phosphate.

The weird thing is that the underside of the Acro is green but the topside getting hit by light is brown. Maybe my light is too intense? But then I figured the torch and acan next to it would be bleached to no end, so I am pretty confused. Also, the polpys extend on the underside but not the topside.

Any help would be great! Thanks guys.
image.jpg

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time.. looks new to your tank! It will turn bright green from brown then color up after it acclimates to its new surroundings.
Give it time.. looks new to your tank! It will turn bright green from brown then color up after it acclimates to its new surroundings.
I see! Makes sense. I bought it only recently ago and I just changed the whole rockwork up so he got moved. I hope the lighting is ok where it is, but I have no par meter so if it’s too little I guess he’s going higher haha. Thank you!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above post. Browning is caused by excess nutrients or insufficient par lighting. In your case though it is still adjusting to your tank. It's common for shipped acros to brown out. It can then take weeks or many months to acclimate and color up. Your nitrates are low and phosphate is slightly elevated also.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
phosphate does seem significantly higher than nitrate. try dosing a bit more nitrate to see if the color comes back.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phosphate does seem significantly higher than nitrate. try dosing a bit more nitrate to see if the color comes back.
Should I stop using coralamino? I’m unsure if it actually adds any excess phosphate or nitrate but my chalice birds nests and various montis are on growing crazy cause of it. Maybe I halve the dose?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I stop using coralamino? I’m unsure if it actually adds any excess phosphate or nitrate but my chalice birds nests and various montis are on growing crazy cause of it. Maybe I halve the dose?
It would raise your no3 not your po4… reef roids will raise po4 in a hurry if you’re using that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back