"Acro Bugs" or just pods?

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got some frags in a QT. I noticed some movement on one. With a flashlight you can see them scurrying around. I'm not sure if these are just pods or if its an acro-eating pest. These are definitely only staying on the frag. Two videos from yesterday and one from today. I haven't dipped yet. I'm guessing if Bayer doesn't kill them, odds are they're bugs?

Yesterday:

Today:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way of telling if they're "safe" pods or acro black bugs, etc?
Not without a microscope or evidence of their destruction. A dip is always a safe bet.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi
Did you dip them before to out in your qt?
It looks to small to be pods.

First delivery that I did not dip before adding to QT. Figured I'd try it to not stress them more after shipping. Not a big deal though I don' think. The tank is just a rack and glass. I'll be doing a series of dips. If there seems to be an issue the the QT being contaminated, I have another QT I can build up and transfer them. I'm just glad I found this in QT and not DT. Lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought pods come in all kinds of sizes. My thinking is these not getting off the frag probably means they're an acro pest and I don't want them. Lol.

eraser2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First delivery that I did not dip before adding to QT. Figured I'd try it to not stress them more after shipping. Not a big deal though I don' think. The tank is just a rack and glass. I'll be doing a series of dips. If there seems to be an issue the the QT being contaminated, I have another QT I can build up and transfer them. I'm just glad I found this in QT and not DT. Lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought pods come in all kinds of sizes. My thinking is these not getting off the frag probably means they're an acro pest and I don't want them. Lol.
I have been using Dr G's coral dip for difficult pest. Check it, works great

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods, not red bugs. Red bugs are much smaller and slower. AEFW are much harder to see and much slower.
What concentration and duration of Bayer did you use? It should annihilate just about anything with a nervous system.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been using Dr G's coral dip for difficult pest. Check it, works great

Will do. Thanks!

Pods, not red bugs. Red bugs are much smaller and slower. AEFW are much harder to see and much slower.
What concentration and duration of Bayer did you use? It should annihilate just about anything with a nervous system.

Didn't dip yet. I just thought I read some people saying it didn't kill acro black bugs. But I'll post my results.

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just finished doing a dip. Dipped first in Bayer solution (15mL Bayer, 3.5cups water) then moved to some Seachem Reef Dip, an iodine based dip as far as I can tell. 10min in each. I'll let them settle back in and report back.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back