Acro eating flatworm question

reefer_madness_01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be dealing with an AEFW problem in my DT and will probably post a longer topic later but for starters wondered if anyone had any idea how long it would take after adding an infested frag to a tank for it to "take over" a tank?

I dipped a frag from my DT which I now suspect was infested with AEFW, briefly put it in my frag tank (a few minutes), decided that wasn't a good idea and put the frag back in my DT while I sort everything out. I don't want to panic and go through the weeks of dipping necessary to eradicate AEFW in my frag tank just yet but I also dont want it to take hold. Basically, I'm curious if anyone has an idea about the window period where I should be especially vigilant with my frag tank. My DT is a whole different issue which will likely require a different post. I dipped some frags tonight that weren't looking good and fairly confident I have AEFW in my DT...ugh

OP
OP
reefer_madness_01

reefer_madness_01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, pretty sure there were worms. The water sat for quite a while before I could check but fairly confident there were shriveled white to opaque flatworms. I had to rush out of the house, so removed the corals and set the water aside and checked it about an hour later

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worms can infest for months without you realizing there is a problem, especially if you have a fish that may pick at them. That being said, the right fish could keep them in check without you ever knowing. But, you do know, and you probably did not contaminate your frag tank if you dipped then put coral for just a couple min.

OP
OP
reefer_madness_01

reefer_madness_01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sounds reasonable. So six line, melanarus, coris wrasse I'm assuming? It wouldn't be a huge deal for me to dip the frag tank across for a few weeks but the main tank is going to be a nightmare

OP
OP
reefer_madness_01

reefer_madness_01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, sounds reasonable. So six line, melanarus, coris wrasse I'm assuming? It wouldn't be a huge deal for me to dip the frag tank across for a few weeks but the main tank is going to be a nightmare

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had six lines and green coris wrasse do a good job at picking them but it seems most people recommend the yellow coris.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the yellow coris. When i had mine they were constantly looking around my sps and picking things off that i couldn't see.

duncangweller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanarus and he's forever picking at the rocks and looking underneath corals.

I have heard good things about coris wrasses for this problem.

Anyone I have ever spoken to regrets putting a 6 line in their display so bear this in mind down the road.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back