Acro - getting thick and encrusting but no vertical growth

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am having issues with my acros. I have acros that continue to crust and have gotten really thick, so I know they are growing but they are not branching out. I am still having some issues with the bubbling but they continue to grow thicker. I have a 140 gallon with 4 mp40's running at various speeds throughout the day, hitting probably 70% at peak during the middle of the day. Nutrients are on the high side at NO3 ~ 15-20 and PO4 around .15. Alk- 8-8.5; Calcium 400-430; Mag 1350 - 1420. Last three ICPs have had two maybe three elements slightly off but no major concerns from my maintenance guy. I do weekly water changes around 15-20%. I am using the aquaforest probiotic method so heavy import and export and part of the reason my nutrients are on the high side. Also dabbling with the "concoction" that has pushed some of my growing corals to grow faster.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals growth pattern is likely a response to conditions in the place where they have "settled." Thick bases and branches suggest that the coral is trying to anchor and hold in a high current velocity situation to prevent it from being broken or dislodged. I would suggest lowering the turbulent flow and see if they don't start growing up?

OP
OP
D

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I reduced my flow and will see if that helps over the next two weeks. 4 MP 40's in a 140 - 4ft might be a bit much even with my positioning and ability to adjust flow patterns.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 1” loom below, encrusted about 6” of rock for a year,before adding any branches, then poof, both branch and encrusting, now 2 years old.
IMG_2188.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back