Acro growth

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rmckoy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
8,369
Reaction score
10,642
Location
Ontario Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking I might have asked similar .
but if placing acro frags close together
Will they grow together or will one kill the neighbouring or encroaching frags ?

I took a flatter rock and drilled a bunch of holes to sit frags in

thinking now they might be too close ?
image.jpg
 
Generally speaking they will not get along and fight. I agree it looks like they are too close together.
 
I’m thinking I might have asked similar .
but if placing acro frags close together
Will they grow together or will one kill the neighbouring or encroaching frags ?

I took a flatter rock and drilled a bunch of holes to sit frags in

thinking now they might be too close ?
image.jpg
Typically 4 to 6 inches apart depending on the type of stick
 
The four in the center you will need to worry about long term; one usually wins the fight or there is just a constant battle and a dead tissue battle line between them. I find that some are more aggressive than others (Millies and Torts).

In any mature reef even with spacing this is inevitable; spacing just determines how long it will take. With large colonies it is generally not a big deal.
 
If both acro are the same species then no big deal. If it's a different species then the stronger one will win however it won't kill the whole colony of the weaker one just the part it touch
 
I've experienced more of an issue with faster growing ones shading out the slower ones. Flow can also become an issue over time.

I've taken a new approach this time around. I attach the frag to silver dollar size piece of rock. Then I putty that little rock & frag piece to my reef rock. When it is a problem a year or two later, I just pry it off.

Here is what crowding can look like. Only the fast growers will survive if left too long. It is a nice problem to solve for. But it is a problem you will someday have to solve.

Right side.JPG
 
I've experienced more of an issue with faster growing ones shading out the slower ones. Flow can also become an issue over time.

I've taken a new approach this time around. I attach the frag to silver dollar size piece of rock. Then I putty that little rock & frag piece to my reef rock. When it is a problem a year or two later, I just pry it off.

Here is what crowding can look like. Only the fast growers will survive if left too long. It is a nice problem to solve for. But it is a problem you will someday have to solve.

Right side.JPG
Looking goog
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new