Acro help!

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg i know this might not be the problem but I notice that you bought Corals from Mr. coral before and I did to what I notice is my Mr. Corals frag are not growing they are still small and taking forever to grow and all the frags that I got from local club members and known vendors are all growing fast so I think it has to do with mr coral frags been fresh cut mariculture corals that's my believe. But that's what I'm going through. His frags are small to begin with most being not even half inch

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg i know this might not be the problem but I notice that you bought Corals from Mr. coral before and I did to what I notice is my Mr. Corals frag are not growing they are still small and taking forever to grow and all the frags that I got from local club members and known vendors are all growing fast so I think it has to do with mr coral frags been fresh cut mariculture corals that's my believe. But that's what I'm going through. His frags are small to begin with most being not even half inch

Lol I only had about 5-10 out 30 survive. I have nearly 40 acros from several vendors

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope im not paying for any replacments or anything. Might get hit with the shipping but i working on getting that waived too

Peterock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon my jump in here but I've been reading this thread and there is some very good information and some I wouldn't listen too. You are getting enough light from the LED's, possibly too much. I keep a SPS tank and am trying to get better growth as well which is why I'm tagging along. My frags usually encrust first (I'd say a month is about right) and then begin to grow out. 50% of the time they grow from the base and not the frag itself.

Anyways, you've been looking at all these complex dosing rituals and I'm not sure that your probem is that specific at this point. Not meaning to sound condisending but sometimes when all else fails, its good to go back to basics.

Is there a chance you have metal that is rusting somewhere in your tank?
How about your tempature control?
Is the TDS in your RO/DI close to zero?
What type of salt are you using?

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon my jump in here but I've been reading this thread and there is some very good information and some I wouldn't listen too. You are getting enough light from the LED's, possibly too much. I keep a SPS tank and am trying to get better growth as well which is why I'm tagging along. My frags usually encrust first (I'd say a month is about right) and then begin to grow out. 50% of the time they grow from the base and not the frag itself.

Anyways, you've been looking at all these complex dosing rituals and I'm not sure that your probem is that specific at this point. Not meaning to sound condisending but sometimes when all else fails, its good to go back to basics.

Is there a chance you have metal that is rusting somewhere in your tank?
How about your tempature control?
Is the TDS in your RO/DI close to zero?
What type of salt are you using?

-No metal that im aware of, and i hope that there isnt
-temp control by apex jr(4-4" fans in canopy and 12"box fan blowing on return section sump. 250watt heater
-rodi, 0tds on meter
-regular red sea salt

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biopellets and i feel like i run a ulns and the higher alk could cause alk burns

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to throw in the towel with this 2part dosing. I cant find the amount that keeps my alk stable.
The frustrating part is that i had the proper equipment to dose alk and swapped it out for 2part dosers.
So now im looking for another 50ml/min doser to dose kalk only at nite.

1.5ml of 2part too much
.5ml isnt enough
1ml works but not consistent.

Seriously!!?!! 1ml of 2part with 40+ acros is the amount i using

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say its not stable how much is it swinging?

Mine can go from 145ppm to 160ppm depending on when I test. As long as there is something for the corals to take in, and it is replenished you should be fine.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now that makes me feel a little better.

I got around 8.00 reading 2days in a row(will give exact readings once i get home)

Yesterday was 8.2
I test everyday at 5pm

.2 spike doesnt seem like much but was looking for more or less the same reading from day to day at the same time

Dan1789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 ml a day? That's crazy. I have a 90 with mostly Lps and softies, 9 sps frags now and I dose around 50ml of alk and 50 ml of Ca. I'm wondering if I'm dosing too much now. My alk stays within .5 dkh each week when I test it, but I have noticed my sand hardening in spots.

OP
OP
G

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 ml a day? That's crazy. I have a 90 with mostly Lps and softies, 9 sps frags now and I dose around 50ml of alk and 50 ml of Ca. I'm wondering if I'm dosing too much now. My alk stays within .5 dkh each week when I test it, but I have noticed my sand hardening in spots.

Your telling me! Something isnt adding up. I just cant figure it out :(

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sand hardening can be an indication of Calcium being too high. I would check that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back