Acro Id? Type more than “name”

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me determine what kind of acro this is? Any info is appreciated. Gets crazy polyp extension, but only at night.

Thanks

CR

1B8D40E6-77AC-4118-B08B-87D60BEFE70B.jpeg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go by color too much but by the growth itself. You might have to let it grow a bit but it has a strong growth pattern of a typical bonsai. I believe the pic you just posted is acropora secale correct? Either way man, it's a sweet coral!

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Another species to mix up with A. nana and A. valida :)
Thanks!

The color (that "tri-color" look) can be exhibited in all three, but the corallite structure and growth forms are distinct. The nana has more delicate, longer, thinner branches than the secale. Typically the valida corallite structure looks more "swollen" than the nana. The secale is known for those tubular shaped corallites.

A valida and secale would be much easier to confuse, whereas the nana may have similar color scheme but the branches and corallites are distinct enough. The trouble in captive tanks is that odd flow/light/chemistry can make for some unusual physiological response in appearance.

I have all three in my tank and they do look very similar.

Here's a pic of the corallite structure of each. (nana, secale, valida)

nana corallite.jpg
secale corallite.jpg
valida corallite.jpg

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color (that "tri-color" look) can be exhibited in all three, but the corallite structure and growth forms are distinct. The nana has more delicate, longer, thinner branches than the secale. Typically the valida corallite structure looks more "swollen" than the nana. The secale is known for those tubular shaped corallites.

A valida and secale would be much easier to confuse, whereas the nana may have similar color scheme but the branches and corallites are distinct enough. The trouble in captive tanks is that odd flow/light/chemistry can make for some unusual physiological response in appearance.

nana corallite.jpg
secale corallite.jpg
valida corallite.jpg
Thanks!
Yes, I'm trying to ID the Acropora's at my work using Veron's pics and descriptions. We have A. nana and A. valida, and they are, just like you're saying, pretty different when it comes to the morphology. But Acropora secale was new to me :)

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nana corallite.jpg
secale corallite.jpg
valida corallite.jpg

That's extremely helpful. Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back