Acro ID

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got this beautiful Acropora couple days ago. I was told that it’s Millepora but its shape and polyp looks different from my other Millie.
Can anyone help Id this?
IMG_8033.jpeg

IMG_8027.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hard to say from that small frag. It looks like a pc rainbow but doesn’t have the deep maroon polyps… doesn’t look like a Millie either.
Thanks! I’ll give it some time to grow and see how it ends up looking

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks almost as if at one time it came close to tanking, then recovered in spades.
You should take a clearer pic. The colors are really cool.

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks almost as if at one time it came close to tanking, then recovered in spades.
You should take a clearer pic. The colors are really cool.
I bought it for its color. Sadly it may be PC rainbow or some kind variety, but I paid higher price. Was told that it’s a Millie, but I really doubt that.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it for its color. Sadly it may be PC rainbow or some kind variety, but I paid higher price. Was told that it’s a Millie, but I really doubt that.
If it was shocked somehow in the past, it might have a weird looking growth form for a while until it enters an environment with stability where it can grow. The colors line up with it being millepora. There are varieties with just those colors. The coral looks like it's healthy now though, so once you start seeing some of those corallites turning into branches, they will assume whatever normal form and you'll get a better indication. The polyps look like they have that shaggy quality too. Just have to wait and see.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks kind of like my WWC Somewhere over the rainbow Milli that I've struggled with for way too long...
IMG_0977.jpeg

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks kind of like my WWC Somewhere over the rainbow Milli that I've struggled with for way too long...
IMG_0977.jpeg
Some of them are temperamental man. I think in most cases, it's underestimating just how much light they want, especially to keep colors and growth going. Those look to be in decent health too, but it also looks like they are not growing the way they should. It looks like it's growing some, but intermittently. Is your calcium/alk/ph stable?

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where some of these things come from the amount of light is like incredible. The reasons we can't duplicate that in our tanks is because we dont have anything bright enough yet that can work from enough distance without burning them with radiation they DONT want. At least, that's my theory.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of them are temperamental man. I think in most cases, it's underestimating just how much light they want, especially to keep colors and growth going. Those look to be in decent health too, but it also looks like they are not growing the way they should. It looks like it's growing some, but intermittently. Is your calcium/alk/ph stable?
Yeah stable, had a hiccup a few months ago but this guy I've had a long time and almost lost a few times... Only recently started to base out again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back