Acro ID?

Sean Fitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I bought this at the LFS who called it a "color tip" acro and at the time it was white with bright pink tips. It soon became solid darker pink, and has now developed a like neon watermelon green base. Any ideas what this is? Whatever it is it seems happy...Sorry for the phone pics lol
20190314_194041(0).jpg
20190314_194105.jpg

OP
OP
Sean Fitz

Sean Fitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually know it's not SSC (have one of those too) but does look a lot like red planet via google images!

Thanks all!

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was sold as a "color tip acro" then that is what it is. If the lfs had ora red planet they'd make sure to name it as such to ask more.

Now could it be the same species? Sure.

OP
OP
Sean Fitz

Sean Fitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean thats not true at all, people trade in frags all the time that dont remember names, or never cared in the first place. Depending on the employee they might just make it up. It looked way different at the store, white with pink tips- was definitely half dead, essentially. Also often they buy wild colonies and frag in the store, and not everything has a name, too, given the 3,000+ known sub species of acropora. It is likely just related to red planet, from the same region.

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of my point, unless it was sold as a specific coral from a specific vender it's whatever name the seller gave it.

Either it has "lineage" or it doesn't, and in that case youre better off just tryung to identify the species.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back