Acro Identification - ORA Red Planet? Christmas Mirabilis?

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a frag of Red Planet just starting to bud in one of my previous tanks. Mine came direct from ORA years ago. It can have many different looks from my experience, at least color wise.
IMG_6762.jpeg

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both as well bu they’re quite small.

Both needed more light so I’m moving them up to 350 par. Hope to see them color up soon.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors look opposite to my red planet when it was small and in lower light; it had a green growing edge and a red base, this appears to be the opposite. I'll try to dig up a pic.

Edit: found one
34153067670_5d76bab62b_h.jpg

48063140572_416096bec5_h.jpg
Wow,. that looks completely different than the images I have seen online. Also, the white long polyps as opposed to the red shorter ones. Interesting.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a frag of Red Planet just starting to bud in one of my previous tanks. Mine came direct from ORA years ago. It can have many different looks from my experience, at least color wise.
IMG_6762.jpeg
The encrusting growth does look similar, but again the polyps are different.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both as well bu they’re quite small.

Both needed more light so I’m moving them up to 350 par. Hope to see them color up soon.
I have been gradually ramping up my lights to see how it affects things. Also, the frags are near the top on the frag rack, so I'm watching to see if they turn out different than the colony, which is currently near the bottom of the tank.

So far the difference is that the frags are bright green, and the colony is a slightly darker green with more yellow, especially on the vertical sides.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors look opposite to my red planet when it was small and in lower light; it had a green growing edge and a red base, this appears to be the opposite. I'll try to dig up a pic.

Edit: found one
34153067670_5d76bab62b_h.jpg

48063140572_416096bec5_h.jpg
That is not ORA Red Planet, nice acro though.
The encrusting growth does look similar, but again the polyps are different.
It just looks like the axial polyp is still out on your colony. If you have no source as to where it came from then I would just call it a red/or red/green table acro (A. Hyacinthus), because I'm sure that's what it'll turn out to be.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Planet from ORA while not a rare or expensive coral it is often counterfeited.
Yeah, what makes things more difficult is that there are 100s of pics that are labelled something, but they very widely and many are not even close the the supposed originals. So just doing an image search doesn't often help. Comes down to popular opinion I suppose much of the time.

I have only a few named corals, and not one of them looks much like the original colony in the pics...at least not as a frag, perhaps once they get to growing out...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back