Acro light settings

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, Im not the best at understanding all the lingo and stuff when it comes to lighting! I want to try acros and have been doing a lot of research about their lighting requirements. I was curious if anyone out there has red sea 90 LED lights with acros and if they could give me a ball park for intensity settings between the blue and white lights to work with?? I dont have anything to test par unfortunately.

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have specifications for the tank? How high do you plan on mounting the light? If you are a member of a reefclub you might be able to rent out a par meter too to help dial things in.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have specifications for the tank? How high do you plan on mounting the light? If you are a member of a reefclub you might be able to rent out a par meter too to help dial things in.
So the lights are mounted the standard distance as the system is a red sea max 260 and it came with everything. And no Im not a member, Im not on FB at all. I can check with LFS and my cousin who also reefs for a par meter

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I like the white in a tank. Not all blue. Per the RS reef beat app, it is the ramp to 20k setting in the library I believe
Ah okay! So mine is set low because the tiny acro I had bleached and I thought it was too bright. Im not sure I acclimated it correctly to the light though.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edited posted wrong spot
All good! Do you have any tips for someone new to acros? My tank is mostly zoas, torches, hammers, mushrooms, leathers, goni, and nems! Ive got two acro frags but like I said they bleached. I really want to be successful with these corals they are just beautiful!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive also been doing a ton of research and it seems the key to these guys is having enough light and flow but Im just confused why my bleach! My blue is at 40% and my white is at 20%. Probably help if I had a par meter but I dont have like 500 bucks to throw at one

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is your tank. A seasoned tank will do better. Also you no3 and po4 should be low. I run no3 at 10-15 and do ok. Po4 has been a bit higher so working on getting that lower. I think it is about stability as much as lighting. I also use AB+ and phyto in my tank

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is your tank. A seasoned tank will do better. Also you no3 and po4 should be low. I run no3 at 10-15 and do ok. Po4 has been a bit higher so working on getting that lower. I think it is about stability as much as lighting. I also use AB+ and phyto in my tank
Ive got a 11 month old tank and a 4 year old tank from another reefer. Dont have many corals in that one yet because he had crap lights and Im in the process of upgrading them. My 11 month tank has all kinds of corals in it and BTAs, this is the tank where the frags are currently

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back