Ever have a snail cost you thousands?

smacrophylia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I changed the cool white setting on my lighting schedule last night on my radion g6 blues. I suppose when I made the change I hit save then hit back I assume I did something wrong while saving the setting because it activated at 100% intensity I did not realize it would change from my previous 50% setting. At work this morning I check the ol apex to see if there are any note worthy par changes from the previous day. It reads 0 . Strange. I head home after the lights have been on for 3.5 hours and they were cranking full blast roasting everything in the tank. I think some pieces may survive because it was caught relatively quickly but I lost a brand new pink caddy splice mini colony that’s was pricey and a couple Mardi Gras frags but other acros seem alive just bleached. Yes I know it’s my fault but I would love to blame the snail for not allowing me to catch it sooner because I could have shut the lights off and came home to solve the problem. I’m trying to keep high hopes about the situation but I’m very upset.

Salinity 35.1
Alk 8.8
No3 4.9
Po4 0.06
Cal 520

ACTUAL QUESTION

I dose anywhere from 10-20 ml alk daily to maintain but have dosed cal only once in the past 2 years and it remains above 500

no negative effects from it just wondering why?

IMG_9919.jpeg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not following your story about the snail. What product are you dosing ? What doser do you use?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
recalibrate your probes. apex might be off if you've been reading the same reading.

OP
OP
smacrophylia

smacrophylia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I screwed up my lights and fried a few corals at who knows what par maybe 1,000 and my par reader was showing zero because a snail was covering it so I didn’t panic and shut them off I let them run for 3.5 hours at full blast

I’ve been manually dosing Red Sea alk and testing with Hannah kits for all tests

OP
OP
smacrophylia

smacrophylia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i have all acros sitting between 150-180 par at the moment until they recover is that low enough?

OP
OP
smacrophylia

smacrophylia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks I was thinking a 1% increase in lighting intensity every other day…based on previous setting that should bring me to 280-300on lower frag rack and colonies should be sitting around 400 after 60 days

OP
OP
smacrophylia

smacrophylia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously I’ll base the changes on progress but that is my plan 3 hours after discovering the devastation

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back