Acro Lighting?

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’ve decided to finally try Acros!!! I bought a shaggy stag about 3 months ago and it has been doing ok. It’s green and bushy and not bleaching so I assume everything is ok? Here’s my question though, I plan on getting more acros. I have 3 in my tank currently. It’s a 25G lagoon, I’ll post a picture below…. And before the tang police show up… yes there is a baby sailfin tang in there.. yes I know how big they get.. and yes I have the proper tank that I am moving him to shortly, he was a rescue and I didn’t have a place to QT him so he’s in my 25G… anywayyy, I run 2x RedSea 90 LEDs with around 60% blue spectrum and a peak of 20% white.. what are the thoughts on that? My water chemistry is good, I keep my phosphates on the lower side along with nitrates. I was just curious if anyone has grown acros with the RedSea lights? Any other things I should know about before throwing a bunch of money into sticks? Thanks!!! Again do not chew me out over the tang.. he’s going into a 125G reef later this week, thanks!!!!! :)

E779929E-CB91-4652-8BDA-50EF4C3BCBCE.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not, the lights are exactly 12” off the top of the water as RedSea recommends

Oh haha for some reason they seem further. How are they spaced out from one another? They look like they could be spaced out more. I would definitely recommend renting a par meter or looking at par maps from similar setups.

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights should be fine, although another one wouldn't be overkill. What concerns me more is flow, how much can you move water without suspending sand?
I have a RedSea Gyre Pump in the tank but it’s only running at 10%… I tried 20% but my mushrooms and all my other corals looked unhappy haha

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RedSea Gyre Pump in the tank but it’s only running at 10%… I tried 20% but my mushrooms and all my other corals looked unhappy haha
This could be a limiting factor as acros use flow to regulate nutrients and waste. The stronger and more chaotic the flow, the better the coral health and growth rate. Just not direct flow. Adding a couple neros on a gentle alternating cycle should be enough to keep it colored up, but in my experience, flow matters more for sps than light ever will.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights should be fine, although another one wouldn't be overkill. What concerns me more is flow, how much can you move water without suspending sand?

The coral and rocks can break the "waves" before they get to the sand. This is how mixed reefs like mine work.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve grown acros with T5 and Red Sea LEDs. It’s difficult to give good advice based on a write up, but here goes.

Blast your flow high up in the tank where the acros are. As long as your nutrients are detectable, strong light, stable parameters, and good flow should be all you need to color up your acros. Kalkwasser helps. Blanket of light, T5 style, helps. You might consider T5 or LED bars.

It sounds like you are on your way, best of luck!

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve grown acros with T5 and Red Sea LEDs. It’s difficult to give good advice based on a write up, but here goes.

Blast your flow high up in the tank where the acros are. As long as your nutrients are detectable, strong light, stable parameters, and good flow should be all you need to color up your acros. Kalkwasser helps. Blanket of light, T5 style, helps. You might consider T5 or LED bars.

It sounds like you are on your way, best of luck!
Thank you so much!

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 Nero 5 on back wall. Parent child 80% w pulse chasing eachother. Works for what I have. But ya just have to try some figurations
in a 25 lagoon? wow lots of flow lol i run two nero 3s on back wall in a 50 lagoon on random 25%-45% and its almost too much flow for mixed reef.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back