Acro names and the type

  • Thread starter Thread starter fLajNuT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fLajNuT

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2019
Messages
103
Reaction score
19
Location
Southern California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious if there was a list somewhere of all the names of Acropora coral and the type they are (not scientific names).
For example I have been looking at something called “ORA Hawkins Acro” but can’t tell if it’s a branching or tabling coral based off just the frag. And most places just give you a funny name like that and say acro after it with no other description of what the coral does when it grows. How do I know what type of coral I am purchasing without actually purchasing it and letting it grow out?

Just starting out new reefer so go easy on me if this is a stupid question.
 
I think putting a list together would be a cool project.
It was discussed at little in another thread.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-there-a-list-of-tenuis-acro.659403/

Maybe an example would go like this:

Billy Joe Bob's Grape koolaid banana taffy acro

Species- Acropora gomezi

Growth- thick Staghorn

Care/tips to show signature coloration, colony pics in members tanks. etc etc
 
I think putting a list together would be a cool project.
It was discussed at little in another thread.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-there-a-list-of-tenuis-acro.659403/
Yes to this we need to get the coral nerds on this! I am a coral nerd but we need the next level ones on it. I don’t know why there is not one yet Zoa’s have a whole web site with Picts and full breakdown. As popular and expensive as Acro’s are You would think there would be one
Maybe an example would go like this:

Billy Joe Bob's Grape koolaid banana taffy acro

Species- Acropora gomezi

Growth- thick Staghorn

Care/tips to show signature coloration, colony pics in members tanks. etc etc
 
A lot of “Hawkins” end up looking like Turaki. I think a lot of people in my area got the two mixed up. I have not got a proven lineage to the Hawkins and grown it to see what it looks like so maybe it’s just the way it is.
 
A lot of “Hawkins” end up looking like Turaki. I think a lot of people in my area got the two mixed up. I have not got a proven lineage to the Hawkins and grown it to see what it looks like so maybe it’s just the way it is.

To my understanding ORA Hawkins "echinata" is actually Acropora turaki.
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new