acro pest Q

  • Thread starter Thread starter authentic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 20, 2012
Messages
1,483
Reaction score
882
Location
coral springs florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have alot of sps frags and colonies in my system.This morning i noticed the new growth on the base of one of my acros(paletta pink tip)was receded.looking closely i saw a small white speck on the rock.
pulled the rock and plucked off what looked like a nudibranch.oblong with two antenna like protrusions on its head.didnt look like a flatworm or a monti eating nudi.so i dipped the rock and didnt really see anything else bad fall off.could just be STN but im curious about the animal.could not get a good pic because it was so small and dead by the time i tried.any ideas??
 
I would inspect other corals very carefully and if in doubt dip everything you can again just to be sure. Those nudibranchs are evil and if that's what it was you need to get them out of your system asap. My buddy had the Monti eating variety and they decimated his coral rapidly.
 
From what I understand there are a wide variety of nudibranchs and each one has something specific that it eats
 
A leopard wrasse or similar species will eat just about any coral pests. Combine that with a few Bayer insecticide dips and should be over it pretty quickly. If I could do one or the other I would go for the wrasse with a turkey baster. Mine are trained to hover around when I baste corals, rocks and clean the sand to catch any pods that are exposed. Will definitely be less stress on corals than taking them in and out, exposing them to air and the stress of the dip. Good luck
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new