Acro pest?

Matt91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefing fam,

Wonderind if anyone has seen anything like the attached pics?

It doesn't look like AEFW bites to me, but clearly something is upsetting it, and looks almost like something is eating the flesh... Not sure what though.

I've dealt with red and black bugs in the past (treated with interceptor) and from my recollection you could always see the bugs, and the polyps were always completely retracted, so I'm thinking it's probably not that either.

It's a homewrecker frag (photo was taken with lights out and flash - hoping to catch some critters or something)... Polpys are kinda out, so it doesn't look too ticked, but clearly dying from bottom up, so not 100% sure what this is... The frag is about 2 months with me, had been doing well and started pooling out at the bottom over the glue, but then started slowly dying from bottom up.

All other acros in the tank seem fine. No similar tissue death like this anywhere else.

Have not dipped it again since this issue came up (don't want to cause more stress and have it peel), but open to suggestions... I have Coral RX and TLF ReVive handy, any preference/recommendations?

Params as follows
Alk: 7.8-8.1 (daily fluctuation) Hanna
Cal: 450 - aquaforest
Mag: 1400 - aquaforest
Phosphate: 22 ppb - hanna
Nitrate: 5ppm - Hanna HR
Temp: 77F
Ph: 8.2-8.6 daily fluctuation

I run a bi-monthly ICP. Most recent one had bromine elevated @110ppm, lithium high at 1100ppb, molybdenum a bit high at 32ppb, and everything else within range (other than some trace elements low)... I sent another one off yesterday so should have more on that later this week, but if this is pest related I assume it won't have any significance.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Screenshot_20230327_105409_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230327_105356_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Matt91

Matt91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar with amphipods. They'd only pick on a few acros after thoroughly irritating them.
Hmm. I do have a bunch of amphipods running around - Thought they were good guys... Any recommendations to remedy this without nuking the entire pod population?... I'm thinking like a Mandarin or wrasse to keep their numbers down. Thoughts?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back