Acropora Adventures and Other Anecdotes

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has been another effort over many years, to grow out a genuine ORA Pearlberry. Finding the real deal is harder than it seems. Now, I know that ORA has begun selling it again. I'm not so convinced it's the same as the original. Anyone got any info on that?

For now I am growing this one out. I bought this from a hobbyist here on r2r. Let me know what you think. I'm thinking this is looking promising.

ORA_Pearlberry-8516.jpg

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from the size of your frag and the Pearlberry is very difficult to photograph the colors one see's in person

I keep this pic on file because it is a very accurate picture of an original Pearlberry with it's coralite structure and various hues of color. This how it should look in person without drowning it out in blue lighting.

pearlberry perfect colors.jpg

The new ORA Pearlberry to me is a cheap imitation and not even close to the original.

OP
OP
OnPointCorals

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I suspected the new PB ORA was selling wasn’t the same. I appreciate the reference pic.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Harry’s frags have the OG Pearlberry so as Brian from lazyscoralhouse . I might be completely wrong as usually I am but somehow the one you have doesn’t strike as the original strain of Pearlberry - the corallite structure looks different to me

OP
OP
OnPointCorals

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ty. We will have to see as it grows out. Won't be anything new. This has been going on for many years for me. The search continues.

I might eventually hit lazy up. I been wanted a piece of his DFS Pink Panther.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice. I feel like not to many people have that piece.... Think I might need it :).
yeah its pretty slow growing though. Thats a 3 year growth but again I had atleast 2 crashes and am thankful it survived. Also the fact that I grow acros extremely slowly :(
But is my favorite piece right alongside BC Skinny Love . I also had a mini pearlberry colony from Brian that didnt survive the crashes

OP
OP
OnPointCorals

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I been doing a compare of these 2. Not sure if They are the same or different. Any opinions?

Left to right:
CB Pink Tip, Paletta Pink tip

Pink_tip_times2-8533.jpg

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been doing a compare of these 2. Not sure if They are the same or different. Any opinions?

Left to right:
CB Pink Tip, Paletta Pink tip

Pink_tip_times2-8533.jpg

I will have to say they are looking very similar if not the same, I guess we will know soon as they look to be encroaching one another :)

OP
OP
OnPointCorals

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Colors starting to come in on this one.
Vivid's Blueberry Blast Tenuis:
Vivid_Blueberry_Blast_tenuis-8567.jpg

This one has every appearance that it is getting too much light. I been tempted to move it down but I feel like it should be able to take the 485 par it's in. Still trying to decide what to do.
CC Pink Highlighter Tenuis:
CC_Pink_Highlighter-8570.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back