Acropora Eating Nudibranches!!!!

Rick Gaas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I have not seen much information about Acropora Eating Nudibranches, and wanted to share a few pics of what I found.

084ECCC0-CA40-475B-8FAB-E048E1E2EC6A.jpeg
C562173B-D2B5-4DC4-A77F-A396B5AFC1D2.jpeg
F29D53CC-B33F-49AE-9E48-724DAD6913F8.jpeg
9C762C36-4C6B-44C1-8FE9-0599A8901CEF.jpeg

I must have missed some eggs when I dipped and ended up with these guys on most of my new Acropora frags.

I have attempted to pull the frags and dip every 4 days or so, but have not been able to kill all of them.

I dip with Bayer, and it has done a great job at killing the adults, but does not hurt the eggs at all.

Although it is painful to trash my frags, I am thinking of pulling them out and letting the system run a few months or so without any Acropora.

Anyone have any experience with these?

How long should I let the tank run without Acropora to ensure all of them starve to death?

Will they also eat Montipora?

I will be buying from a reputable source in the future, and also setting up a QT to prevent issues like this in the future!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally we see Monti eating nudis...maybe they migrated to the acro....

OP
OP
Rick Gaas

Rick Gaas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally we see Monti eating nudis...maybe they migrated to the acro....

Funny thing is that they are not on my Monti!

Hoping someone can let me know how long to leave my system acro and Monti free. Don’t want to add anything back too soon if I do decide to remove everything.

Also hope they do not feed on lps.

clownnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had to deal with them for a little bit awhile back. it's easy to beat compare to AEFW. they are easily spotted with a blue flashlight at night. they don't spread as bad as or as fast as the AEFW.
i beat them with just checking infected coral(s) and corals around it and dips the one i found nudis on, within 6 weeks i am completely nudi free. i do standard revive dosage for 1 gallon + 20 drops of lugol + 1/2 gallon of tank water (4 caps of revive + 20 drops of lugol + 1/2 gallon of tank water). just revive or just lugol wont kill them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rick Gaas

Rick Gaas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had to deal with them for a little bit awhile back. it's easy to beat compare to AEFW. they are easily spotted with a blue flashlight at night. they don't spread as bad as or as fast as the AEFW.
i beat them with just checking infected coral(s) and corals around it and dips the one i found nudis on, within 6 weeks i am completely nudi free. i do standard revive dosage + 20 drops of lugol oer gallons.

Maybe I will give it a little longer... not sure my frags are going to continue to hold up after taking them out and dipping so much. Most of them are already white around the base from the nudibranches eating them.

Thanks for the reply.

clownnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the revive and Lugol dip don't seem to bother my acros. i didnt lose any acros to the dipping. under blue flash light they are fluorescent green. super easy to spot.

OP
OP
Rick Gaas

Rick Gaas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the revive and Lugol dip don't seem to bother my acros. i didnt lose any acros to the dipping. under blue flash light they are fluorescent green. super easy to spot.

Guess I need to buy a blue flashlight.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back