Acropora: Green Polyps Turned Brown after Blackout

  • Thread starter Thread starter joedulany
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

joedulany

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2021
Messages
4
Reaction score
2
Location
Pearland, TX, USA
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I live in the Houston, TX area. We were hit by an unusual winter storm earlier this week which knocked out the power for a day and a half. My reef tank got down to 63°F before the power came back on despite my efforts to keep it as warm as possible. Thankfully, all of its inhabitants seem to have survived, but I am concerned about my Acropora. Before the blackout, it had lovely, tiny green polyps that were always extended during the day. Post-blackout, the polyps still extend during the day, but now the green has gone from them and they are a shade of pinkish brown that matches the main body of the Acro.

Is it just trying to recover from the cold? Is it sick? Is there anything I can do to help it? Everything else has bounced back and is looking great.

I unfortunately do not have a clear 'before' photo, but here is what it's looking like right now. I have had it for a couple of months and it was always green before the blackout.

IMG_1978.jpeg


Thanks in advance!
 
It has prob lost a lot of its zooantha. That gives it color and food. It can turn brown without enough light. It should come back in time.
 
Color should come back. It browned out because its zoo has grown dense to try and get more light. The fact that it has turned brown instead of dying means it was healthy and trying to survive the shock.
 
Color should come back. It browned out because its zoo has grown dense to try and get more light. The fact that it has turned brown instead of dying means it was healthy and trying to survive the shock.
I am so glad to hear this! Thank you so much!
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new